Is this blight on Black-Eyed Susan? Why?

Maynard, MA

I have many clumps of black eyed susans. The flowers look good on most--not all--but the leaves are turning black on most of them. Is it blight? Something else? Why? What to do?

Thumbnail by ShaynaPearl
Bowling Green, OH

Could be septoria. At any rate many black eyed susan diseases are caused by overwatering and overcrowding. Is this clump of flowers in a low spot that gets more water? Are they overcrowded? Check out figures #2 and #3 at this link: http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p154rudbeckiadisease.html

Maynard, MA

Thanks, ken33. It does indeed look like septoria, though it's been a dry, hot year mostly, and I didn't water much to make up for what the heavens weren't offering. It could be overcrowding in some places. I wonder if it is also spread from last year. I think I had a bit of it then, but didn't pay it much mind.

Bowling Green, OH

The following pertains to septoria.

A good way to start dealing with this is to plan on digging and dividing your susan patch right after Labor Day. This disease tends to be worse in crowded conditions when poor air circulation encourages leaf dampness. If you divide off fist-sized pieces and space them about 2 feet apart, that should help next year.

Another good move is cutting off and removing all the infected foliage from the garden this fall. Septoria spores overwinter on plant residue, so the more of these you can get rid of, the fewer spores you'll have to reinfect next spring.

The third prong of attack, if you need/want it, is spraying a protective fungicide. The key is getting that on starting around early June and then re-spraying every 7 to 10 days while the conditions are ripe for infection. Daconil (chlorothalonil) is a common chemical fungicide that usually does the job, but good organic options are copper, one of the new bicarbonate fungicides (i.e. GreenCure, Remedy, Bi-Carb) and possibly neem oil.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

I have had the same problem. Some varieties of Rudbeckia are more susceptible than others.

Follow Ken's treatment plan should work well.

Maynard, MA

Sounds like great advice. Thanks, Ken, and to drobarr for seconding it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.