Is it too late in the year to order clematis plants?

Mesilla Park, NM

I'm thinking of ordering a few more clematis but was wondering if it is just getting too late to get them established for winter. What are your thoughts regarding fall orders? Thank you for your responses.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Actually, the clematis I ordered and planted last fall have done better for me than the ones I received and planted in the spring. I'm sold on fall planting after trying it the first time last year.

Last year Brushwood had a sale in the fall. All clematis were 1/3 off. I placed my sale order on 10/2/12. Of course, I'd already placed an order in Sept, and I placed another one in Dec. Needless to say, those orders did not include any sale items. :-)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Gourd - I agree that fall planting is excellent. What is your zone?

Would you consider asking the folks in the Southwest Forum how successful they've been with fall planting of clem's?

Mesilla Park, NM

Thak you abounds, it may be a good time since it is starting to cool down in my area.

Pirl, I sure will. I've been playing catch up today and have some planting to do. Putting in some of the black crepe myrtles , I don't need anymore plants... But, I just love these clematis with the bell like shapes. By the way, I got one roguchie Clem seed to germinate, now if I can keep it alive will be another story.

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd

Black Crape Myrtle? Tell me more, please.

Good luck with the seeds. I tried a few times but didn't have any success.

Mesilla Park, NM

The leaves are black, called black diamond, blooms red, some are white, and some pinkish. Got to get a couple more this weekend to complete the area..

I can get the correct name if you want..

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd

No need to get the name. They should be stunning against that stone wall!

Mesilla Park, NM

Ill be darned if the radical didnt rot on that seed. I waited too long to plant it.. Darn it, back to waiting on more seeds. Roogouchie is stingy with seeds..

That crape myrtle is really showy.

Thanks.
A.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

Yes, they are. I Googled them and they are all gems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.