Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

thanks for the new thread Ric

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy birthday, Ric!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy birthday indeed!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm putting off as much yardening as possible to get ready. I'm headed to Joysie fishin' and campin' with a BF this weekend.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

HBD RIC

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Ric! Enjoy your day and the weekend.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Happy Bday, Ric!!!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is a cool story about a woman in Richmond with a 50 year old NBC she would like to see bloom again!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/woman-would-like-to-see-plant-bloom-once-more/article_c17f7d07-bec2-52e8-b3b9-240b24715da6.html

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Is this ragweed? I let it grow only because I found its super fast growth fascinating. It's about 7 feet tall now.

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

My guess is some type of Solidago (Goldenrod) rather than Ragweed. http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h530goldenrod.html

I have a ton of what I have concluded are Solidago volunteers in my yard, and they look just like that (when I let them grow). See, for example, my "Plant ID" posts at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1327295/?hl=Solidago and http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1322645/?hl=Solidago .

This message was edited Aug 9, 2013 9:21 AM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Well, we decided to get a used class C diesel motor home. With our kids spread out all over thE country we could visit them and also stop where and when we want. We are looking at it as an investment in living. Instead of getting a lot in the Adirondacks, which was always our dream, and only having the kids visit maybe for a week we could move the camper about and they could also use it. It was a very difficult decision. We don't like to spend money.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, How very smart of you. Ric and I used to have one. It was really my Dad's he bought it to use on a few of his hunting trips and then we got it. At the time we were going pretty much every year to Fl. to visit Ric's parents with all 4 children. It was a great way to travel and we could park in their yard and stay in it while visiting. Making it a little less crowded in their rather small home. We took it to the beach several times and a very nice trip to the Key's great memories of family vacations. Only negative was we always towed Ric's boat along so the only vehicle we had to get around in was the motorhome. I quite often wish we still had one.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

It is small enough we figure we can just use it to get around. I know it's a pain to put everything away, but we shall see what happens. After Jeff stops teaching and we do more of this, maybe we could tow a small car. When we pick it up we will get a long demo of how to use everything.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Get some vespas and strap them to the back, don't need to tow anything

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Actually, Jeff thought of scooters. Hmmm.... Will have to think on this.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Vespa's would be great unless it's rain or snow. I wish I had one!

Oh, so it's golden rod... I should pull it since it's in a funny spot, but it was fun to watch it grow.

Boy, I'd love a Vespa!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Check out this Thread on the DG Forum for some nostalgia....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1328221/

SSG--looks similar to the goldenrod I pulled out of my garden a couple weeks ago!

I noticed some goldenrod blooming along the side of the road today and was feeling regretful about the huge ones I pulled out--like, maybe they would be blooming now. But it looks like what's growing in your garden hasn't? Well, that makes me feel better about pulling mine out. ;-)

I have a Solidago Golden Fleece that I am still waiting on. Hopefully, it will bloom soon.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Guess what! My Fishnet Stockings Coleus is starting to have the
fishnet markings o n the latest leaves. After all the green--it is behaving...
--It could be that I have been keeping it in a bit more sun?
--It could be that the days are getting shorter?
--It could be anything.....but I like it...

It has grown pretty bog too...

Took a bunch of cuttings of the Coleus "Mocha"---
Potted up 10 of them--should be rooted bu the Swap....
Speak up if you want any...

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Good luck Jan hope it works out wonderfully- your logic seems right on!

I agree Goldenrod for ssg

I have a question about tree disease. I'm seeing a lot of dead/dying trees on the highway with white webs all over them. Is this something I should be worried about with my own trees?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Are the white webby things tent caterpillars? They always weird me out.

Thanks, Sally.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Tent caterpillars, aka fall webworms- only worry if you get them. I rarely do. I hope they are all eating the invasive Callery pears.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Or Gypsy Moth caterpillars.
http://mda.maryland.gov/plants-pests/Pages/gypsy_moth_program.aspx

Maybe both? The damage/death of the trees may be from the GMs but the tents are characteristic of the tent cats, just as Sally said.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2013 9:49 AM

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

love the coleus mocha G. - wish we lived closer...

enjoy your new motor home Jan

Interesting to read about the caterpillars.

I wish I could overwinter coleus, but they shrivel up and die just a few weeks after they're brought indoors. My mother has kept one as a houseplant for 3 years.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

FYI. The wild goldenrod will take over an area very quickly. It has the underground runners and if left to go for several years it will just take over...
It has pretty flowers though..lol

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

SS--

Take Coleus cuttings and plant them in a cell pack--right into soil mix.
The root so quickly and grow like weeds. I keep mine under the
unused--or--now seed light set-up.
Overwintering a whole Coleus plant may be difficult.

Stem cuttings? Eazy--Peezy! You will probably have to re-pinch them and then root those. Be selective of what you really want to take care of for 6 months...

From X-mas--2010

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

For myself I found that a longer cutting roots faster and does much better. I just did a short cutting last fall and lost the most of them. Just sayin"

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Blue, this has been my experience too! Read many sets of directions that said to use short lengths, but had the most success with 4-6 inch segments. But ask Gita, she's the self-proclaimed Cutting Queen!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Awww--c'mon Guys!!! I'm starting to feel uncomfortable here....

The "Queen" comment was intended more to the AMOUNT of cuttings I produce--
NOT that i am "special" or anything...I am just a chronic propagator...and, often,
pay dearly for this habit--as my plant space is so limited in the house...
That is also why I hope many of you will not be shy about asking me for what you want.

To some extent--the length of a cutting is determined by how far apart the nodes are.
Most of the cuttings I plant are about 4"-5" tall. If need be--they can be another inch
longer. I always bury the stems all the way to the bottom of the pots anyway.

G.

Well, so much of this is new to me--I've never rooted a plant from a cutting, or divided a rootball, or many other things. So, I'm happy to learn from you all! :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And so you will, cat!

DG is an awesome place packed with all kinds of information.
"Seek and Ye shall find........"

There are over 300 Forums...filled with nice people who will gladly help you.
Just ask!
Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Coleus do root faster if there is a leaf joint in the medium, any medium, especially if the lateral buds are still not fully developed. Sometimes a few will damp off in soil mix, but Rootone will usually prevent that and is not necessary for success.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita, I'm moving this discussion here from the Have Wants Discussion Thread.
You said:
"Makes me wonder what the people DO that have difficulty propagating things????
I mean this question sincerely. Can you share it here, please? "
Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1327564/#ixzz2bqc9is4l

My response: Usually I lose cuttings to mold/fungus/damping off/whatever. I understand that you need to keep the cutting from drying out by creating a humid environment. I do this by putting the cuttings/pot in ziploc bags, at least for a few days until the cutting gets acclimated to its new life and then gradually opening the ziploc bag. I know there are a lot of plants that root without this kind of treatment, but I have had success with hydrangeas this way. I believe that the ROOT of the problem (see what I did there?) is sanitation. sanitation sanitation sanitation. I'm learning this lesson over and over again. So that's why I've had marginal success rooting stuff. I need to use brand new or sanitized soil mix or sand and containers.

One other instance a few years ago which still stings: I had a whole egg carton's worth of American boxwood cuttings that had already rooted which I forgot about and they dried out and died. If I hadn't forgotten to water them, I'd have 6-7 happy little boxwood bushes today. :(

As far as coneflower seeds go, are you actually asking or are you quizzing people to see if they know? I found this out by trial and error. I once planted the spiky bits on the flower head that look like cosmos seeds. Wondered why nothing grew?! Then I figured out that's not the seed. The seeds are small triangular prisms(?) between the spiky bits. Often the Goldfinches pick them out before I can get to them.

Oh Catmint, you are in for a wild ride! Plant propagation is seriously my favorite part of gardening. I am a scientist and I LOVE to see what plants are capable of. It's amaaaaazing!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric -- what is rootone?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Never mind -- it's a rooting hormone -- see http://www.gardening123.com/ProductInfo/rootone/Benefits.asp .

The leaves on this volunteer are so pretty but I'm afraid it's too aggressive. It's about 2-3 feet tall. Any guesses on what it could be?

Thumbnail by ssgardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.