What kind of fuzzy critter did this?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Can anyone tell whether this is a bunny or a woodchuck or something else? It just showed up, so it seems too late to be a woodchuck, which, in my experience, show up in the spring and don't stray very far from their burrows.

tia
las

Thumbnail by LAS14 Thumbnail by LAS14 Thumbnail by LAS14 Thumbnail by LAS14
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, certainly larger damage than is commonly seen by even the largest of insects!
Can you rake an area smooth and loose and look for footprints?
I can see one "people print" next to what is left of the fruit in the 3rd picture.

How about rats? Roof rats or otherwise?
Squirrels? Which are found in your area? Are they willing to come down to the ground?
More damage than I think Voles or Gophers might do. Maybe gophers. Very hungry ones.

Do you see any other signs of what might be in your area? Disturbed soil like gopher mounds? Damaged fencing that might allow access by the larger critters? Tunnels under the fencing?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

We have no fencing, so it could be anything. I'll watch for footprints. Too late now as I've walked through the trenches a lot. Well... of course... I haven't checked this morning yet. We put a radio in the garden last night.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Our nemesis has been chipmunks for small items and bulbs, but the deer have stolen our tomatoes.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

i would guess a rabbit...but raking soil smooth around the area as mentioned earlier might be good. keep us posted what you find out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.