New Machine Suggestions

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

I have an old "work horse" machine that I use several times a week -an Elna Air Electronic SU, bought new in the 70's and still going strong. I basically make dolls, fabric Christmas ornaments and other crafts, hem, and repair with it. I'm looking to update myself and to buy a new, computerized machine. The only thing different I will be doing on it from what I'm doing now is to piece some quilts.

The machine I purchase must:
have an automatic needle threader
have a lock stitch button
have a reverse and forward button
have an automatic thread cutting button
make at least 2 or 3 automatic button holes

I find I waste so much thread when making the small ornaments, I really want to be able to have the machine cut the top and bobbin thread with the touch of a button. And I want a really NICELY shaped straight stitch - as nice as the one my Elna Air Electronic SU makes.

Right now I'm looking at Janome machines. I want to have a dealer within a reasonable driving distance in case I need service on the machine. There are also Brother dealers and I can drive much further to a Baby Lock or Elna dealer if I have to - the Janome and Brother Dealers are closer to me.

Do you have a sewing machine that you really love among these brands and can recommend it? I'd like to stay in the $500 to $600 range.
Thanks for your help,
Linda

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!