More weeds!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry, folks. I just had a moment there when I saw my lower garden border, that I weeded three times already, overcome with crabgrass. This heat+rain has really been good for the weed crops. Sigh.
Martha

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Easy to pull after the rain

We need to invent/develop dirt that only grows what we want.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I am up with that! Part of the problem also is that this has been great mosquito weather. You can't go out without wearing protective gear.
They seem to ignore insect repellant. But back to the fray.
Martha

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I just weeded the rhubarb patch. It had so much grass in it that you couldn't see rhubarb half the time. One kind is what I call a nut or bur grass, I have no Idea if that is a correct name or not. It pulls very easily. Then there's what I think is orchard grass. It forms clumps and you have to use some kind of tool to pry it up. Then there is some dock, some kind of vine that's easy to pull but impossible eradicate.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Let's fight the good fight! I have sworn vengeance against the weeds. More pizza, more pizza boxes to line the border. The only thing worse than the regular weeds is the several cultivars of poison ivy taking residence among the grasses.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Do the pizza boxes work?

Big problem this year is nut grass growing in our lawn, don't know where that came from.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Pizza boxes work better than nothing but do not entirely replace pulling the weeds out by the roots and disposing them.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

My hands hurt so much from pulling weeds! They are just out of control this year.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yepper!!! Weed= a four letter word

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Have you tried a judicious use of Preen? Or it's organic counterpart, whose name I can't remember at the moment? I recently sprinkled it in the trenches between my veggie beds after we returned from 10 days away and the weeds looked like we'd never spent two days weeding them before we left. The effects don't last more than 3 months or so (6 weeks, I think for the organic stuff), so it won't harm next year's garden.

Thomaston, CT

I'm glad everyone is in the same boat as I am.....weeds are rampant.....choking out everything, more poison ivy again......will be headed out tomorrow for another session of yanking!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

A little while ago when it was dry I swore to pour scalding water on the weeds in open areas to finish them off, but it was just a passing idea. Anybody try doing that?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lots of people use that for the weeds in the driveway/sidewalk so there is no chance of getting the desirable plants

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Weed wacker is OK in those spots for us. My issue is in making space so the perennials and shrubs in the garden beds have a chance to get started.

Thomaston, CT

I've tried white vinegar....smell is bad, but it worked until the roots became active again!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I've heard of that. Guess it mustn't be so much that it radically changes the soil ph.

Thomaston, CT

I only sprayed on my patio ......I have a well, don't want to use any chemicals....didn't stop my son from spraying the PI with Roundup!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

We shudder to think of what chemicals must already be in our ground. Isn't the half life of DDT something like 50 years? And when there's a construction project, we've pledged to talk to them about how they kill the vines.

Thomaston, CT

Scary!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.