What is this Alien being that invaded my coneflowers?

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi,
Last year in this spot I had Echinacea 'Ruby Star' and was anticipating it's 3rd year leap this summer. In the meantime we had unbelievable early spring rains that drowned many of my flower beds, although most of the plants in this bed survived.

When this first started growing the leaves looked so much like my Echinacea that I didn't question it. When it got to be 5-ft tall I thought WOW, the blooms will probably be huge (yes, I now know it was dumb).

Then it started growing these "plumes" and I knew it wasn't my Coneflowers but couldn't find anything around the yard that looked similar. Since that time I've noticed some smaller plants in the very back of our yard between our property and the next house that look similar, but not exact.

There are lots of weedy and invasive things back there that would be nearly impossible to totally eradicate. This was once a natural area years ago and they're growing all around us and in other people's yards. My main defense is to try and plant mostly natives and very friendly plants that aren't natives. I also work at keeping the invasives out of our yard.

I decided to let it grow long enough to post some pics as I haven't been able to find any pictures that look similar. I've even searched info on weeds and invasives.

After hitting preview, I realized I never took any close-ups of the leaves. I'll try to post one or two later on today.

Any info would be Super-Appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here are a few more pics. Maybe they'll help.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Buffalo, NY(Zone 5b)

looks like Goldenrod!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks!! Now, the big question...is that good or bad?

Edited to say:
I just found out Goldenrod is a Native wildflower and highly desirable. Plus it supports all kinds of good insects (and a few bad ones). Wow, I sure hope your right. It's so rare to have a good-guy plant just show up. I'm definitely NOT going to remove any of them at least until they bloom. If they really are Goldenrods, they're staying!!

Thank You...Thank You...Thank You!!!

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 11:08 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

agreed on Id. Great for bugs. Can be a thug though by spreading roots.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks sallyg!!

I figure I'll let it bloom this year since it's so close, then start removing them. We're changing that bed anyway, into a raised bed, so it'll be a good time to pull it out.

We have more of it in the very back of the yard, between our house and our back neighbors, but there's a all kinds of stuff growing back there that would be almost impossible to completely remove unless everybody in the area also removes all the bad stuff.

Thanks again!!

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

If that used to be a natural area, chances are good that it might be goldenrod. Break off some of the greenery and smell of it. Goldenrod has a very characteristic odor and once you smell it you won't forget it. It also has dry stalks that stay all winter and into spring. Luciee

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks luciee! Actually, it is Goldenrod and now that we've become more familiar with it, we see it everywhere.

After jackthompson and sallyg posted I started looking up info on Goldenrod in Illinois. I learned that there are over 100 varieties and most are native to the U.S.. About 22 varieties grow in Illinois.

I also learned that Goldenrod quite often gets blamed for the allergies that Ragweed causes just because they bloom about the same time.

I decided to let the ones in my garden bloom for the bees and other pollenators, but will be pulling them out before they go to seed. I also have some growing in the very back of my yard in the shade, but they're smaller so at first I didn't realize it.

Some areas of the country consider them invasive, but they're not invasive here. They can be agressive in a small garden, though, which is why I won't be keeping them in my flower bed after they're finished blooming. I'll let them continue to grow in the back of the yard. I think they're very attractive and "airy-looking" and the insects seem to love them as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.