For history's sake

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I was just trying to recollect how DG was when I first saw it in 2001. How difficult it was to attach photographs then. Computers too were slow. Has anyone saved a screenshot image of the DG page layout of that time? I would think the DG Admin can do something to show the newcomers and remind old timers about this, just for history's sake.

Dinu

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

That's a great idea!!

Screenshot? I just learned how a few days ago.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I'm still trying to recollect, but my memory fails me.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

nuts,
how do you post a screen shot?

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't know what browsers you guys have, but it should be similar with all of them.

At the very top right of your keyboard is a key that says something like Print Screen and just below that it says Sys. Rq. Press on that key...only one time. You won't see anything show up on your screen.

Now go to your list of Programs. (Here's a place it can vary on different browsers)

You're looking for a program called Paint. On some browsers it's under Accessories. On some you need to type Paint into the text box.

I wasn't able to find it at all so I clicked on Help, than typed in Paint. It brought up different things. One of them was a link for the Index. I clicked on that, typed in Paint again and clicked on the link to open Paint (a very long way to do what should have been simple).

Once you open Paint, Click on Edit then click Paste. Your newly formed Screenshot should show up.

Next, click on File then click Save As. A text box will pop up where you can name your Screenshot and save it.

Very important...Make sure to change to JPEG or JPG. Some computers won't open it if you don't.

After that, you should find it where ever your pictures are stored. On mine it's under "My Pictures". You can also look under My Documents.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2013 3:16 PM

Ok. That's how I'd been doing it before. I thought ya'll had a new way of doing it.

Thanks for the concise instructions, too!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cool!! And You're Welcome!

The only reason I'm able to do a screenshot now is that Seedfork was kind enough to walk me through it.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

You can also do it with the snipping tool much easier I think.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I just hit the "prtsc/sysrq" key and it's automatically and instantly saved to my photo program.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Even better than the screen shots described above is the "snipping tool" that arrived with Windows 7. I haven't yet found it on my husband's Window's 8, but I haven't really looked. I believe it was in my Start menu when the computer arrived. Do a search for SnippingTool.exe. It lets you capture the part of the screen you want to save. You can just paste it into a Microsoft app like Word, or you can save it to a file. I've used it many times to show DG this or that problem. But I don't think it's available before Windows 7.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I think the snipping tools has been around a long time way before windows 7. I tried using it the other day, and it was fine for small snippits, but I could never get it to do a larger area, and once it was selected I lost all navigation.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Well, I think it's been improved. It is very simple and has no problems that I have seen.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Ok, for some reason it is working great when I try it on this screen!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I can't locate a Snipping Tool, but I'm still using XP and IE8. We're planning to purchase a new computer in the near future, though.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Vista I think had a snipping tool, but for some reason XP I don't think came with it there are third party versions you can download probably.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Seedfork. I'll just wait till we get a new computer.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Quote from Dinu :
I was just trying to recollect how DG was when I first saw it in 2001. How difficult it was to attach photographs then. Computers too were slow. Has anyone saved a screenshot image of the DG page layout of that time? I would think the DG Admin can do something to show the newcomers and remind old timers about this, just for history's sake.

Dinu

Here's the best (and only) way to take a stroll back through time: http://web.archive.org/web/20010801000000*/http://davesgarden.com

Back in very early days, we had only one forum, for reporting problems with the trade tracker and trade list. Then a few more forums were created, but photos were not allowed in any posts.

Then we introduced the Photo forum - it was the one and only forum that permitted images to be included.

Then somewhere along the line, we started the PlantFiles photos forum, where your PF submissions created a thread so people could comment on your photo(s) you shared in PlantFiles.

And then we slowly....very slowly...began opening up other forums to allow an image to be included in your post.

Now we can post up to five images per post.

How's THAT for progress??!!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link! That's pretty incredible.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Wo!!! What a great site!! (www.archive.org), for lots beyond Dave's Garden. But it sure does put our current headaches in perspective!

Go find the date you joined, then go to the archived site as it was closest to that day. Now, THAT'S an eye-opener, LOLOL!

No b'day list, no articles, no voting booth, no new members daily roster...

Yep.

I appreciate Melody and Terry, a WHOLE lot!

Hugs!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Terry,
That's absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad it is there, still available on the web. I still remember connections were very slow and we had to wait many seconds after clicking the button for the next thing to appear on screen. It took so long. In June 2001, there were I think 800+ people signed in, but when I signed up on July 12, there were 2,746 members before me. Dave was member #1. And there was trouble here with these computers getting the browser button to upload images was tricky! When I saw I could upload images, I used to borrow a digital camera - Sony Mavica which recorded images on a 3 1/2 inch floppy...- what a time it was!

Dinu

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Some members have become flowers. Is there a count of such people?

Dinu, there are 72 DG members who now have a forget-me-not icon on their page. There may be others we are just not aware of, so if anyone knows of a member who has passed away and we have not given them this designation, please let us know.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Ha ha - I went back to the day I joined (5-25-05) and everything looked clean and simple, and it all worked. Fond memories of the good ol' days

My first car, purchased with my own money, was a baby-blue 1980 Ford Mustang. It had a 4-speed manual transmission, no power brakes or steering, no A/C, no power windows, no power locks and GPS was a map in the glove box.

It was clean and simple. But if I were still trying to drive it, I highly doubt I'd be pleased with its performance today.

After our kids came along, I drove a four-door sedan (aka "mom-mobile") for ten years. Like that first car, it was fun and easy to drive and maintain to start with, but eventually, things wore out and it became increasingly difficult and expensive to maintain. Eventually it was time to update to something newer. With each generation of automobiles, things have become more technical and more expensive. (My current vehicle has power-everything, and it's dreadfully expensive to maintain, let alone fix when something goes wrong.)

Likewise, the internet and technology has changed dramatically in the ten years since you joined, and so have our member's needs and expectations. I am truly sorry if you are not happy with the changes and improvements we've made.

However, we have worked out the major kinks and we'll continue to test and implement the rest of the tweaks and fine-tuning that needs to be done.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Loved hearing about your GPS, Terry. We have the same one!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

This is something like when we say we have long memories which also would be subtly meaning we have grown old too!! :) DG has also grown old to have long memories... it will never ever be senile though... Changes happen and they will get better acceptance with more use. I've browsed other places a few times earlier and nothing to beat DG 'interface', if that is the right word. I am sure others will agree. Oh yes, how DG has grown in content, quality and authenticity! You name it!
I'm one to "nostalgiate" for pleasure and that is why I thought of this subject.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Dinu, thank you for starting this thread! I appreciate your wisdom and perspective, and just discovered the article you wrote about how DG has impacted your life and your garden. It was such a good reminder of my own introduction to DG, and how it has changed my life.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks Bookerc. I feel privileged to be among lovely people - more and more are joining in! May be members started to share how they came in to DG. There was an old thread some years ago to share how we all chose our screen names. It was interesting too. Now this could be something more interesting. Right? What do you say? Each one of us will have a little story.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, I'm really enjoying that link that is a stroll back in time. Very enjoyable! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.