Problem with my Harry Lauder's Walking Stick

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I've had this plant for 6 years now, first in a pot, then in the ground. Right now I have it on the West side of the house since it is sensitive to salt spray and I live 2 blocks from the beach. It gets part sun.
The leaf tips have always been burned, but lately they have gotten much worse. We have gotten quite a bit of rain, but I really don't think that's the problem (we have sandy soil). It probably has spider mites, but I can spray for those.
I love this plant and won't want to get rid of it, but if it's always going to look like this, I can give it to friends who live farther from the beach.
Ideas??
I'm posting this in the Carolina Gardening forum also.
Thanks!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Hello, I am not quite sure what the problem is with this although it may not be your specific plant as much as the kind of plant it is. I worked at a nursery a few years back and these plants frequently looked like this especially as summer raged on.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Thanks Sequoia. I'm pretty sure it's unhappy here with our hot and humid summers. my husband is going to visit his son up on Mt.Airy, NC this weekend. I'm going to send it up there with him. I'm sure it'll be happier there.
Barb

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Alright, well good luck! I've heard good things about Mt. Airy, it sounds like a nice place :)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't think it's the hot humid weather, since I've seen many happy specimens in hot/humid summer climates. We get Japanese beetle injury extensively on our hazels, but otherwise they do fine. Maybe you're right about the salt-sensitivity, not sure.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yep that is the dreaded Japanese beetle results - have that here on both of mine - I usually spray to keep the damage to a minimum, did not get to it this year.

recommend grub-ex or the bayer product for grubs next season as they are the beetle larvae.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Ah ha! I hadn't thought of that. I haven't seen much beetle damage on my roses, but it could be that I haven't been looking for it. I didn't think about them getting to my walking stick.
Thanks!
Barb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.