Queen Palm - different varieties?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Are there different types of Queen Palms? I've looked in plant files and only three different files come up and none are what I'm looking for. The reason I'm asking is that we have five queen palms. Two we planted about five years ago and they are huge, lush, long sweeping fronds, and fat trunks. They were dug out of the woods owned by a nursery and we transported to our house about 10 miles north of their original growth location and planted. They were each about 15 feet tall. The other three we picked up about two years ago at a nursery... Cheap. They were lying on the ground, the roots were pretty dry but there were still green fronds. They were tall and skinny,,, heavy. We had a heck of a time getting a couple of them upright as they were up towards 25 feet tall. The last three palms we put in just don't look the same as the first two queens. Their fronds are shorter, much lighter green. Their trunks are skinny and don't seem to be growing as fast. We even have two that are still staked because they will uproot in our strong FL storms. I know these palms were in much worse shape when planted (no clue how long they had been out of the ground when we got them) but I would have thought that they would have started catching up by now. So, I'm wondering if there are different species/varieties of queen palms?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Anyone?

noonamah, Australia

Queen Palms, Syagrus romanzoffiana, won't grow here so can't specifically comment on those. But I have found many palms that are damaged or stressed severely often never fully recover. I have a Pelagadoxa henryana that kept getting chewed down by wallabies. Finally put some fencing around it but there was only half of a small frond left. It's taken over 2 years and only one new tiny thumb-sized frond has grown. So the plant isn't dying, but it's not doing well. I now believe it will never really do well.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

LAKelley2, this is interesting! hmm, there are the pindo x queen palms, the mule palms but that doesn't really fit your description.

could the slower growing lighter green queens have a deficiency? they are quick to getting yellow if they aren't fertilized. we have to remember individual plants are like individual people - I still wish we could have a row of healthy palms though!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank you for the replies! I guess they could be just slow to recover. We have a slow drip system on them now and I will throw some extra nutrients their way. I use Harrels from Rockledge Gardens on my palms and all but these queens seem to do well on it

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.