Conifer ID

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I have this tree on my new property but not sure what it is. Juniperus virginiana?

This message was edited Aug 4, 2013 1:15 AM

This message was edited Aug 4, 2013 1:16 AM

Thumbnail by dybbuk Thumbnail by dybbuk
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

You don't know what it is because it isn't bizarrely contorted or variegated enough...not too mention it isn't a Ginkgo.

You are also a bit stingy with imagery! Show us more of the cones forming on this plant - especially with something in the image for scale, like a coin or your hand. Also, more shots of the foliage from other parts of the plant could be helpful - older foliage versus new growing tips.

I'm pretty sure you have the right genus - Juniperus sp. - but I'm not sure that it is the native Juniperus virginiana. The habit and fruit size make me think that it is a Juniperus chinensis selection.

It sure seems to be growing happily, regardless.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to a Juniperus chinensis cultivar.

Resin

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Does this gall coincide with opinions? I'm just worried because I planted a small batch of apples nearby.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

That's a Gymnosporangium (juniper-apple rust) fungal spore body - and yes, you're right to be concerned about your apples, as that is the alternate host.

As far as I know, it isn't too fussy over which junipers (and apples) it attacks.

Resin

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Resin. Is the only option removal?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't think removal of a juniper on your property will be of any value to protect your apple trees from this disease. The rust is a ubiquitous organism, and junipers are a rather ubiquitous species - especially the native Juniperus virginiana.

The rust group that affects Juniperus sp. alternates hosts with many members of Rosaceae, among them apples, serviceberries, and hawthorns. Unless you were able to eliminate all the alternate hosts in your neighborhood - well, you see the dilemma.

If you truly wish to prevent rust diseases on fruit trees, investigate what the prophylactic techniques are for the apple trees. For junipers, remove these galls as you observe them - since they are REALLY obvious - and you can have your apple pie and eat it too.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks VV. better news than expected.🍎

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.