Ohio White Star 2013

Tipp City, OH(Zone 5b)

I just uploaded a batch of pics of my hardy hibiscus taken today on Facebook - if interested, here is the public link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200882941533211&l=611122b68d

Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower
Tipp City, OH(Zone 5b)

a few favorites...

Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower Thumbnail by kljflower
Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Very beautiful, I have not seen the white one before which one is it?

Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Kathy,

I am writing a full report on you Hibiscus Ohio White Star which I will issue in a few days. I know what it is and why you are achieving the results you are reporting. Congratulations on the Pink Star, you beat me to it. You remind me a lot of my Mother, she would just go out a grow plants, while I would over research the subject, and she always got there first.

We really need to get this Hibiscus into the hands of a commercial grower because it will be a fantastic aid to the amateur Hibiscus hybridizer. In the attached photograph pay particular attention the Stigma and Style which confirms the species. The trick question is: What is wrong with the Anthers?

More to come!

Mike

Thumbnail by Michael_Ronayne
Center, TX

Hey, if you have any seeds to share, remember me. I hyave one pink one but would love a white one. We call them Texas Star. I'll be happy to send you postage. LOL alday

Tipp City, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't think they are the same - Michael Ronayne had researched it pretty thoroughly and he could explain the differences - I don't know if the seeds would be true, but I can send you some when they are ripe - hopefully get some input from M.R.

Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Alday

When you say Texas Star are you talking about Hibiscus coccineus (AKA: Texas Red Star), a photograph of which is attached? If it is something else please let me know. H. coccineus is categorized as a Group II North American native while Hibiscus Ohio While Star is a member of Group I. The two groups are not supposed to hybridize easily but I appear to have growing pods where H. Ohio While Star is the pod parent and H. coccineus is the pollen parent. Usually with an Inter Group hybrid, the F1 progeny carry a genetic lethal and die. The production of our hardy reds requires two stage hybridization between (H. coccineus x H. militaris) x H. moscheutos.

Having said all that, I have been able to initiate seed development twice now with a cross between H. Ohio While Star x H. coccineus. If the seeds grow to maturity, I will be able to run accelerated germination tests on the F1 hybrids.

The real problem is that for the next several years, H. Ohio While Star will not breed true and we are going to have to propagate it by cloning root-divisions or stem cuttings. I will have to talk to Kathy about our options. I am still working on the full report but want to make sure that the hybrids seeds from three different crosses are maturing. The good news is that we should have seeds from two and possibility three crosses to play with next year.

Mike

Thumbnail by Michael_Ronayne
Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

There is actually a white texas star hibiscus http://www.swagbucks.com/?t=i&p=1&b=0&f=0&sef=1&q=white+texas+star+hibiscus

Center, TX

I have a question.I just planted some seeds for Texas White Star hib. They have come up but are very leggy. Should I nip The two leaves or just plant them tall? Alda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.