My veggie garden is hopeless

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5a)

we've had 3 years of pretty good yield from our garden, but this year, I believe too much rain has butchered it.
tomatoes are spindly plants, gr. peppers are the same size as when planted, cucumbers wilted and died a week after we planted. Corn is sparse and still small......what a mess, anyone else experiencing complete failure in the garden area?

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i have not had a complete flop garden this year, but i have definitely lost a couple of plants to fungal infections thanks to all this water!

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

It has been the most rain we have seen in years and years for the summer. Still, not a total flop at all. Fungal type diseases have been a problem though, along with insects and just too much water.
Nothing in the vegetable garden has done exceptionally well this year, and a lot of things are under performing.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

After 3 years of losing cukes, I found tiny aphids on the underside of the seedling leaves. (I THINK they were aphids... I may be misremembering, but they were miniscule black bugs - sparse.) I used insecticidal soap on them, and it worked like magic on my second crop. Check under your leaves. But, in general, I think the very rainy summer has been a challenge. I've sprayed weekly for fungus. It works, but I can't slack off.

We plant in raised beds, which keeps water from pooling around plants. That may contribute to our success.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i am quite surprised that my veggie garden didnt turn into a mushroom patch, lol!

All this water also seems to have triggered a massive cucumber bug population explosion, not only were they on my veggie garden plants, but other plants much further away from the actual garden bed itself, i found some on one of the butterfly bushes we have here.

I too feel like this wet summer has caused things to under-perform as well

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

This was the first time I planted sweet basil in the vegetable garden and my tomatoes , cucumber and bush beans are doing well.Also this is my first year I researched on fish emulsion and plant tone and used them and my results are better than last year.Reasearch states that Bsil help to keep bad bugs away

Edinboro, PA(Zone 5a)

interesting on the basil......we will put in a garden again next year, but not until we REALLY improve, amend the soil this fall........with fish emulsion or manure or something......i think that is a lot of our problem, we got 2-3 gardens from a poorly prepared soil, and this year we just asked too much from it!

thanks for response.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.