Salty Pickles

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Good Afternoon!

Last year we made several batches of kosher dill pickles using my mother's recipe from a long time ago. The first ones were fine, but the last couple were so salty we couldn't eat them and had to throw them out. I figured I was talking and mismeasured the salt and chalked it up to my mistake.

This year, my niece made the pickles by herself and they are the same way....so salty we can't eat them. Same recipe but I wasn't even around to yak and distract her.

She was talking to her sister-in-law about the pickles. And she had the same problem but she used a different recipe. Both recipes called for the same amount of vinegar, water and salt.

The only common denominator is the salt. Last year we finished up an old box and opened a new one...the SIL used a new box. Has Morton Pickling Salt changed? Have any of you experienced anything similar????? We hesitate to waste any more cucumbers until we find out what is going on! We will cut the salt in half for the next batch to see if we still have a problem.

HELP!!!!!

Texas Belle

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!