Love this coleus, but noID, any idea what cultivar it is

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I got this as a little sprig this spring with no ID. It has flourished in a bed that gets wonderful morning sun and some filtered afternoon sun as well. Lots of luxuriant growth, velvety leaves, lots of lavendar spikey blooms. Anyone have any idea what cultivar it is?

P.S.--the leaves look shiny in these photos because they were wet in the morning dew. They normally look velvety rather than shiny.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2013 9:25 PM

Thumbnail by CatMint20906 Thumbnail by CatMint20906
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

CatMint, growing is usually easy, but IDing can be confusing if not a bit difficult.

You can usually check with Rosy Dawn Gardens, but they are closed, and the selection is more limited.

You can also check
http://taylorgreenhouses.com/coleus.html
and
http://www.coleusfinder.org/pictures.php

They are sending up flower spikes as a result of the sun and warm conditions, but do not let them flower. Just pick off the spike at the base as early as you see it. If you permit it to bloom, the plant will get old looking. Some people let them flower for the seeds, but since as you know they are easy to root, there is not much point in collecting seeds. Pinching encourages new growth and bushiness which makes them fuller.

I expect you'll get a positive ID from a reader/grower who will be happy to share.

Marcia

thanks, Marcia--good reminder for me to remove the flower spikes!

taipei, Taiwan

I had similar one before(see the right part of the attached photo). Plants like this could be sports from others, such as Careless love, or other Rainbows Series. I presume that it has not been registered by our market because many sports from different cultivars can make very similar plants.

Thumbnail by Yubiker
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Could it be the one called "Pat Martin"?

thanks, Yubiker. Yes, it does look a lot like the one in your photo, which you're saying is a sport?

yes, Steadycam, it does look a lot like the Pat Martin. It also reminds me of Velvet Lime.

taipei, Taiwan

The similar plant in my photo, as I remember, comes from the seeds produced by Careless Love, which is known as a sport breeder. Among the sports, Antique (also known as Cram berry Salad) is most popular to coleus lovers.

Thanks Yubiker!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.