Botany Quiz: which plants belong to the same family?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 89 votes:

Milkweed and Plumeria
(29 votes, 32%)
Red dot

Cannas and Lilies
(15 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Hibiscus and Peonies
(5 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Pomegranates and Apples
(20 votes, 22%)
Red dot

Poppies and Cosmos
(3 votes, 3%)
Red dot

None of the above.
(17 votes, 19%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Seems I am the first one to vote. Also the first one to get the answer wrong. ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Finally! I was bound to guess one right eventually. Statistics were in my favor. I've only been at it for a decade. :-)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hmmm, I voted none of the above…Then I see this at the bottom of the poll…
Previous Polls---Milkweed and Plumeria belong to the same...
Is the Asclepiadaceae family part of, or the same as the Apocynaceae family?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Ha! I got this one right...having raised both plants.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from tlm1 :
Hmmm, I voted none of the above…Then I see this at the bottom of the poll…
Previous Polls---Milkweed and Plumeria belong to the same...
Is the Asclepiadaceae family part of, or the same as the Apocynaceae family?

They used to be in separate families, but genetic evidence showed that the "family" Asclepiadaceae was just part of the family Apocynaceae. So they were merged into one family.

Resin

Thank you Resin…I was hoping to hear/see some clarification there…Guess I need to do some updating of book/research material! :-) I'm almost afraid to ask when this was done…LOL! Looking at my library, it could have been quite a while ago! :-o

Hi Tim,

In 2000: Endress, M. E. & Bruyns, P. V. (2000). A revised classification of the Apocynaceae s.l. Botanical Review 66: 1-56.

Resin

Hahahaha…Now you're REALLY putting an age to my books!!! Thanks!
Time to retire the old and refresh the shelves!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

wrong again...bah humbug!

Lake Helen, FL

I see somebody found another molecule. When they find still another one, they'll change it again.

(It actually crossed my mind. I thought, "No, they wouldn't dare". They dared...)

Geez…I'm glad I'm not alone!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

cannas and Lilies fooled me...or I WOULD have picked right
Really !
I would have !!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I actually guessed correctly by 1st eliminating any that seemed at all similar whether in appearance or common name. That took cannas & lilies off the list right away since people commonly refer to cannas as canna lilies. I figured the ones that seemed similar or connected in some obvious way would be too easy and thus a trick. I should note, however, that this same line of reasoning has worked against me in past polls.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I was correct, but only because I cheated and googled it before voting. I really didn't have a clue.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

my first instinct was right because of milky sap and had i not gone against my better judgement, i would have had it right. i won't disclose the reasoning behind why i picked apples.....i should know better......sigh.

Quote from trackinsand :
i won't disclose the reasoning behind why i picked apples.....i should know better......sigh.

Go on, do tell! :o)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i actually came back to edit my post and tell the tale but resin beat me so i will confess here now that i thought both were in the Rosaceae family. alas, the Pomegranate is not in the Rosaceae family.

funny how such a brilliant group of people could have mostly guessed wrong...chuckle

Arlington, TN

I can only say that I was totally unfamiliar with Plumeria and just guessed. I knew the others didn't match. My ignorance was showing this time.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I got it right because a leaf fell off a plumeria seedling I received at a round up this year and the plant bled a milky white substance like a milkweed.

I didn't even look at the other options.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from trackinsand :
i will confess here now that i thought both were in the Rosaceae family. alas, the Pomegranate is not in the Rosaceae family.

This is the same reason why I got it wrong.. and now I don't feel too silly to admit it. Thank you Trackin! =)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

always happy to oblige.....

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Based on the reasoning AmandaESQ gave, I should have known the answer, as my plumies do the same thing, but they look so different from milkweed, that I thought there was no way that could be the answer.

Lake Helen, FL

I *still* don't believe they merged the Asclepiadaceae with the Apocynaceae! Dr. Bailey must bd turning over in his grave! Give me Liberty, or Hyde!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

A friend sent some 'Summer poinsettia' today, which bled white milky sap. No relation, I don't think! But now Will have to check. As I was stripping stems to root cuttings I thought of this thread. :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

From reading all the Butterfly threads .. I knew this one ,, About 2 out of ten is where I am now?lol

summer poinsettia sounds like a Euphorbia

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

It is Sally.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.