Why are Tiger Lily Lilium lancifolium usually sterile?

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Most cases of tiger lily show they only produce tiny bulbs as propagation which are exact clones. But given the fact they produce pollen and tiger lily hybrids have been produced must mean they aren't sterile and are capable of producing seeds.

I read if two tiger lilies from different zones cross pollinate that seeds form, but ones in same area will not, since seeds produce genetic diversity I guess for sake of inbreeding that makes sense with different DNA one population might be disease resistant and thus cross pollinating with that will ensure healthier offspring by seed.

But then I remember reading about triploids and diploids which I didnt understand and that rarely a tiger lily can produce offspring without special pollination but its very rare. So I guess its own pollen is sterile to itself, it needs pollen from another lily, I guess how some apple varieties need pollen from a different apple tree cultivar to produce fruit.

Then I heard cross pollinating is only way to get seeds, but only a few Lilly's can make a tiger lily produce seeds the rest are rejected and seeds don't form, what species are these.

Modern day tiger lily hybrids I heard can make your everyday orange tiger lily produce seeds because there DNA is tiger lily and whatever lily species found to fertilize tiger Lillie's. plus the hybrids aren't affected by the disease tiger lilies spread which is a good thing for any garden!

Can anyone help me understand this complex mystery? I'd actually like to get seeds from my tiger lily.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2013 11:32 AM

This message was edited Jul 29, 2013 11:36 AM

Oops hit post twice

This message was edited Jul 29, 2013 11:33 AM

Nobody answered so hoping someone can

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.