Dwarf African Violet flowers

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I know you all have heard of dwarf african violet plants, ones that have smaller leaves and dont grow as large but have normal flowers. I just found an african violet being sold with dwarf sized flowers but normal sized leaves! The flowers are smaller than my thumbnail! Any idea what is the cause, could this be a genetic mutation that gave this plant dwarf flowers? Whatever the cause it's the only african violet I have seen with this condition and im wondering how valuable it would be as far as if it is cross bred with dwarf plants to make both dwarf leaves and flowers, a truly mini african violet.

Thumbnail by keithp2012

Here is an updated photo, as you can see all the flowers are tiny. Can anyone explain why this plant has dwarf flowers?

Thumbnail by keithp2012
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I can only guess.The parents may have been small flowered.It could have a mini or a trailer background.Flower size varies from tiny to huge.

Quote from lbrabec :
I can only guess.The parents may have been small flowered.It could have a mini or a trailer background.Flower size varies from tiny to huge.

Where are there photos of small flower size, I have yet to find any small like mine.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Keith, I have a mini-african violet with small leaves and small flowers. Ive had it for 15 to 20 years and it is quite hardy. The first photo is of the mini violet and the second is of regular size violet. Third photo is the two foliages side by side in same photo for comparison.

Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

As Lynn says, flower size varies. I posted pics of some trailers not long ago. Those blooms are tiny but normal due to genetics. Right now I am up to my eyeballs with our garden and I have neglected my plants for the past month or so. I noticed a couple of A.V.s that in my opinion were blooming abnormally smaller than usual probably due to inconsistency in care while I am working up vegetables. There are lots of variables as to the reasoning for small blooms. Some of mine are genetics, others are from neglect right now. Anybody's guess.

Nice plants Steadycam ::))

Connie

Quote from steadycam3 :
Keith, I have a mini-african violet with small leaves and small flowers. Ive had it for 15 to 20 years and it is quite hardy. The first photo is of the mini violet and the second is of regular size violet. Third photo is the two foliages side by side in same photo for comparison.

Mine can't be dwarf as my leaves are much bigger than the flowers, yet compared to your regular my flowers are too small for regular.

Quote from aspenjocop :
As Lynn says, flower size varies. I posted pics of some trailers not long ago. Those blooms are tiny but normal due to genetics. Right now I am up to my eyeballs with our garden and I have neglected my plants for the past month or so. I noticed a couple of A.V.s that in my opinion were blooming abnormally smaller than usual probably due to inconsistency in care while I am working up vegetables. There are lots of variables as to the reasoning for small blooms. Some of mine are genetics, others are from neglect right now. Anybody's guess.

Nice plants Steadycam ::))

Connie

I understand your idea about neglect but its not from neglect. Genetics mabye but I'm not sure this is a trailer variety.

My whole point of this thread is that if this is supposed to have regular sized flowers and doesn't due to a natural mutation, I want to try and breed more with small flowers it has a "cute" look.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, no...I was using MY neglect, not yours as another possibility for cause . along with genetics. Just using my example of neglect for my smaller than usual blooms while I put up food for the winter. Gotta eat ::)) Take a look at Botanica.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wondertwinjayna/2316354258/

It is caused by a mutation in it's genes. I used to have it a few years ago.

I wish you luck with your endeavor for future plant :)

Connie

Quote from aspenjocop :
Oh, no...I was using MY neglect, not yours as another possibility for cause . along with genetics. Just using my example of neglect for my smaller than usual blooms while I put up food for the winter. Gotta eat ::)) Take a look at Botanica.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wondertwinjayna/2316354258/

It is caused by a mutation in it's genes. I used to have it a few years ago.

I wish you luck with your endeavor for future plant :)

Connie

Except for more developed petals yes that does have most traits of my plant! Either I have botanica or mine has the same mutation that started the botanica line, either way I'm very happy to have found this plant! It appears its sterile by itself but probably can be hybridized.

Hannibal, MO(Zone 5a)

a very good site to go to to see attributes of Violets is Optimara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.