Lily Care

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I planted Oriental Lilies in a large pot last year. They bloomed last year but were rather puny. I left them outside over the winter: zone 6.

This summer they were spectacular. Huge blooms and very fragrant.

I was so impressed with these flowers. They have inspired me to take care of them in hopes of seeing flower blooms like this next year.

So, is there something I should be doing for these potted lilies?

Then, on the other hand, sometimes, leaving well enough alone is the better choice.

Pleasant Prairie, WI

Fertilize VERY LIGHTLY shortly after blooming with rose fertilizer or 10-10-10. Cut any seed pods off that form and leave the main stem and leaves intact to generate an even larger bulb and bigger plant with more flowers for next year. Late in the fall, after the leaves have fallen and the stem has turned brown, cut it back leaving about a two inch stub. Next spring, after they come up a couple inches, you can fertilize again VERY LIGHTLY with rose fertilizer or or garden 10-10-10. Do not remove the old stub--it dislodges itself, much like a childs tooth. You're right: Lilies like to be left alone and do not enjoy being pampered or monkeyed with.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

rooster: Thanks for taking the time to give all of the good instructions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.