Moving to Greensboro!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Hello, all!

My husband's work is moving us to Greensboro . . .we will be there 2 weeks from today!

Wanted to say HI, and look forward to a better climate than here in San Antonio! ^_^

Nichole

(the pic is my future dream gnome garden)

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Strums I
Welcome ahead of your move.
Alex Cheesecake on Elm (small but good) known for cheesecake on a stick. Good ice cream too.

Corner of Elm and Lee there is a pound are coffee shop ( knock your sock off good

Molly Lithgo great potter.(among many but she has a shop) and every year there is a huge pottery show in Greensboro.

I live in Hillsborough / Chapel Hill area. Downtown Hillsborough great little town.
Franklin Street - Chapel Hill many good restaurants.

You are not far from mountains - take a trip to Boone-Blowing Rock or Asheville.
Greensboro drought issues more than here
Winters not bad - more ice storms as compared to snow - but not much of either.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Nichole!

Will be looking for you. We are enjoying a mild season. It's a far cry from summer in San Antonio,sure as it's a far cry from summer in New England. I moved here here from Boston for work in 1998.

Let me know when, where, if you need the welcome wagon. I know of several DG members and host a roundup here in the spring and possibly one this fall.

Have a safe and uneventful move! :)

A.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome! You will love Lowes Home Improvement here....you can get a decent supply of flowers on clearance. Every May, there is a Master Gardner sale, too. I went to my first RU (hosted by Amanda) in June, and it was very nice. Amanda is very fun. Where will your husband work? :)

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Lol! Thank you both!

I'm getting hungry already!

I am so looking forward to slightly cooler - more mild - weather!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, if they keep the same schedule as last year, Dollar General will put their seeds on clearance, so you can jump start for next year. :):)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from Syrumani :
Lol! Thank you both!

I'm getting hungry already!

I am so looking forward to slightly cooler - more mild - weather!

I am not sure of San Antonio, but we normally have many days in 90s with high humidity....just a heads up. This summer has been much nicer than normal. :)

GSO definitely has great places to eat!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

He works at a company called KGB_Inc . . . their location is in McLeansville.

He is in NC now, for the week - it's his job to find us a place to live. Of course, I'd prefer a house, but if we have to get an apartment for the first 6 months, then that'd work. I told him it doesn't matter to me, as long as it has 3 bedrooms and 2 toilets (sorry if tmi, but with 4 of us, there's a need for more than one).

He will fly back on Thursday. We'll pick up the truck and load it Monday the 5th, then hit the road on Tuesday.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

The humidity will take some getting used to, but it's forcasted to have 100+ degrees for most of the week next week.

But trees . . . real trees . . . is what I'm looking forward to! ^_^

Oh, and rain. I've heard rumors such a thing exists . . .

We have beautiful autumns. Spring too. Winter ain't bad. Summer BLEH but not endless. Our barbecue is different - so if you love it Texas style -- fill up.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from Syrumani :
The humidity will take some getting used to, but it's forcasted to have 100+ degrees for most of the week next week.

But trees . . . real trees . . . is what I'm looking forward to! ^_^

Oh, and rain. I've heard rumors such a thing exists . . .

We have TONS of trees. You are going to love that. The fruit/pear ones start blooming about the middle of March. Dogwoods are next. Redbuds are about that time, I think. Crepe myrtle is blooming now. There is lots and lots of green. Fall is soo pretty. Remind us to tell you the best spots then. :):)

You would not have loved it so much last two months. No, I will take that back because we are officially out of the drought - even Greensboro and West - right?

I haven't moved an awful lot but did the apartment route until we could get a feel for the area and schools and where we wanted to live. Never regretted that strategy.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Oh, I miss seasons, too!

Well, to be fair, there are seasons here too. There is a few days of spring, about 2 weeks of fall. Winter can last a week sometimes. Rest of time is summer.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Two weeks flew by! How are things going?

Rain's coming. It's been hot and humid. We've had our last tax free weekend I hear. I went thru Greensboro last Sunday and I think the downtown is cleaning up real nice. Saw two new shops (at least I never saw them before) and the galleries are still up and running - that is saying something in hard times. Alex's frozen cheesecake on a stick is still there THAT IS REALLY GOOD and I think there is another somewhere. We were coming from a service in Lincolnton - pumpkin something ( death of a colleague) and hoping to catch late brunch or early dinner at Aftercurrents but alas it was not open on Sunday.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It will be 1 week tomorrow that we've been here! I may even have the rest of the boxes unpacked and pictures hung up by tomorrow.

I am SO enjoying the weather. I haven't been to any of the good places to eat that were mentioned before, but . . . I will check the map, etc. to compare where they are in relation to the shop that I dropped my embroidery machine off at on Monday. I can get myself a treat when I go to pick it up! ^_^

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome! Let us know when you're ready for visitors. We can all bring plants for the housewarming. :)

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

If you crossstitch you are close to a lot of my crossstitch buddies
Hope you enjoy it here

Lavina who lives on the Crystal Coast instead of still being in Raleigh

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from Syrumani :
It will be 1 week tomorrow that we've been here! I may even have the rest of the boxes unpacked and pictures hung up by tomorrow.

I am SO enjoying the weather. I haven't been to any of the good places to eat that were mentioned before, but . . . I will check the map, etc. to compare where they are in relation to the shop that I dropped my embroidery machine off at on Monday. I can get myself a treat when I go to pick it up! ^_^

Well, it is way cooler and wet than normal! I miss the sun, but I will take the cooler weather. :) Where did you end up eating? Check out the Fall RU thread, too. :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from missingrosie :
Rain's coming. It's been hot and humid. We've had our last tax free weekend I hear. I went thru Greensboro last Sunday and I think the downtown is cleaning up real nice. Saw two new shops (at least I never saw them before) and the galleries are still up and running - that is saying something in hard times. Alex's frozen cheesecake on a stick is still there THAT IS REALLY GOOD and I think there is another somewhere. We were coming from a service in Lincolnton - pumpkin something ( death of a colleague) and hoping to catch late brunch or early dinner at Aftercurrents but alas it was not open on Sunday.

I am sorry to hear about the death of your colleague. :(

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

The family ended up coming, so we ate at a BBQ place. Will have to get used to different BBQ here than in San Antonio . . .

We ended up at the K&W in Burlington. Much better than the one in Chapel Hill. The batter on the chicken was great! The cabbage was great! I needed that fried chicken like I need another weed in my garden!

RU thread - in Carolina Gardening?

Reminds me of my first BBQ experience. I am a city gal and barbecue ribs or pork to me is sticky...plum fruity....and has a bone and is usually paired with a fortune cookie. I ordered a plate of barbecue at a country buffet in Garner/Smithfield. This was MANY years ago and I had heard Smithfield / Garner wasn't all that welcoming of Italian Yankees. Well -- there I was with a plate of whiteish pork sitting in front of me that was CLEARLY soured-- it was so soured that it actually tasted pickled! Vinegar'd!! It even smelled pickled! I quietly called the waitress over and explained the spoiled state of that meat. She just hooted!! Said people came from miles around to eat that "spoiled eastern NC styled 'cue!" I love it now!! But when your mouth is expecting one thing and it gets a vinegar based pork -- whooooowheeeeee. We lived in Garner for two years and had welcoming wonderful neighbors. I think I earned a place in their hearts when the fellow next door (with a huge lush garden) spied my "20 something" young self in my high heels stomping around three very sickly tomato plants. He stood at the fence watching for a spell and finally asked what the heck I was doing. He said that in NC they did not garden in high heels. I told him I was aerating!!! My tomatoes were not doing so good and I was trying to get air to the roots. He said that he didn't know what they did "in New York City" but in NC the thing they did was water those tomatoes - something he noticed I had been doing mighty little of .....

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

OMG that is inSANE!!! Aerating. I am soooo shaking my head at you.

However, I garden in leather shoes. My BF calls it the Ivy League gardening look. Most people do comment on my garden wear - long sleeve buttondown cotton shirt (for skeeters!), long pants (for skeeters!) of course the garden hat, and leather shoes. Especially fun to dig deep muddy clay holes.

But heels. Hmm. You're a peach! :D

Guess you will hafta come to our roundup in the fall Rosie? And a question - who is rosie, and why are you missing her?

xox

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

missingrosie, that sounds just like the "bbq" I had the other day! I don't know if I can get used to that, but I will give it time. In the meantime, my mother said she'd send be a bottle of a special BBQ sauce from Texas (different than what you can get here in store).

I like the aerating story! And I think your gardening outfit, AmandaEsq, is perfectly sensible!

You will both need to go to the RU - wearing your gardening clothes - so I can get pictures of both of you!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Rosie, the thread is in the RU forum. Maybe this will work:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1328823/

I enjoyed the stories.:)

I just garden in old clothes (short sleeves and capris) and old crocs. Lol

Syrumani, did you go to Stamey's? I do not like BBQ much, but I love Stamey's. :):)

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013 10:26 PM

Syru
You MISSED it this year - but Hillsborough has HOG day every year! Folks come from miles and miles and many states to be barbecue king (and queen). Then, all that barbecue is sold after the judging. There is also a hog calling contest, stages with bands ( and ELVIS --sweat on upper lip and all!) and crafts and....stuff. Downtown Hillsborough is 30 feet away if you want to look at an art gallery or buy some yarn. You can get a LOCOpop there too. Small business that sets up shop in other businesses (by shop I mean a freezer) and sells natural frozen pops on a stick. My hands down favorite is the chili pineapple. Cream based pops also - but have not tried those. Guaranteed you have not tasted these favors -- mixes with basil, cinnamon...fruits..almond milk, soy, etc., something for everyone. Owner chick has Mexican buddies and they told her they missed their cold ices and ice cream. She learned the recipes and opened a small shop..... Many shops later... We got Locopops! Not all barbecue is eastern NC. Some styles are pretty close to Texas style - chopped, sliced, shredded ( pulverized) keep trying and you will find one you like and try slaw on it. I had Lexington slaw for the first time the other day ( and the sauce on the chicken and the pork was tacky sweet with a tad of a pepper bite ) (meat had been wood smoked for 5 hrs and then finished on the grill) the slaw ....looked reallllllly shredded ( not diced) sort of like a glob of Lipton noodle shaped cabbage. It was vinegar based and very spicy and was made with red cabbage and so it looked pink. It was realllly good but as a side - not on top of the barbecue -- I like the white or yellow slaw for that. I am proud I did not have the homemade banana pudding nor the chocolate pecan pie that I noticed folks were ordering before their meal to be put to the side. Lexington has a huge festival each year and I heard the train goes there.

I will check out the roundup but I never have anything potted to share and I don't like to come to a party empty handed. But anyone is welcome to my garden to pillage!

Rosie was our 'thought she was a purebreed' pointer and she left us for a better place the day I signed up for Dave's and so she was much on my mind when I picked my screen name. She is still on my mind especially on Fridays ( my Friday buddy) my day off from work when we'd take long walks in the woods...well she walked ....I tripped.....and she waited for me to FLY up (snakes are never far in my tormented thoughts) only to trip again. I think she believed when humans are in the woods they were are very much like her -- on all fours belly to the earth.

I got this thing for stuff that reminds me of her. The small oil is from a photo of her.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2013 7:53 AM

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie

While I was taking a few Rosie look alike snapshots for you courtesy of IPAD - look who came to visit.

You can't see well but there is a buck's rear end sticking out from that big tree off to the right --- in the background way beyond the rooster. Matter of fact this particular family is the fawn, a doe and two buck ( one with a large rack for this neck of the woods) the buck usually stay pretty far back. I see them most days. I don't know much about deer but I thought the speckled young show up in the spring. Isn't it late in the year for the fawn to still have the speckled fur?

Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie Thumbnail by missingrosie
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Nichole.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thank you patootie! I had a great day!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Today we went 'sploring as a "last hoorah" before schools starts tomorrow . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Looks like you had fun! :)

I have not been to the new Sciquarium yet. Is this part of it?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I don't see it on the map . . .

Hillsborough, NC

Welcome to North Carolina! It's a lovely state to live in. :-)

You can google Sciquarium North Carolina if you want to take the kids

I think 10-5 are hrs
Laser show and all sorts of science for the kids plus hands on stuff

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Excellent! Thanks!

Our Ben "stroked" stingrays today.
Unlike the zoo in Asheboro the tiger came right up close and personal ( we stayed behind the urine spray line ) the science room is great for kids greater than maybe 7. The big aquarium is floor to ceiling but not anything like the prize in Atlanta. Kids can go right up to it and so they like it. I didn't get to see the 3-D shows because minimum age is 4 and Emmaline is 18 months so Ben missed out.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I checked out the website. It looks like fun! I can get my fix of tigers, hubby can see his sharks, and the kids can do the aquarium part! Yay!

And we can get 50% off admission, since we have the membership at the NC Zoo!

Some images. You can see how close tiger is. Most animals can come to fence line. The kids enjoyed the mercats. Emmaline liked the indoor playroom. Ben liked the "puke" and "fart" exhibits.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I had a job interview there several years ago before they started construction. I don't think I'd heard about it. I was there to get a job playing with tortoises. :D

So when the woman asked how I felt about them taking down the woods/forest where the building now stands, I was speechless or tongue tied to say the least. I didn't get the job. Still adore the tortoises, but haven't been there since. The Greensboro astronomy club used to meet at the center then too. Lots to do if you know where to look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.