My Seedlings ..

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

These are what seedlings I had bloom so far this year ( Have a few more that will be blooming soon)(6-19-13)

1 .. this was one of my first blooms and I still have not found the papperwork on it yet to tell me which cross it was.

2,..Aunt ethel X John Bennot ( 7-10-13)

3...Open My Eyes X Spacecoast Cranberry Kid (7-5-13)

4...Praying For Miracles X Kansas City Kicker (6-19-13)

5... Indian Giver X Sambo Wilder (6-11-13)

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Pink super spider X Indian Giver (6-13-13)

2.. Linda Beck X John Benoot ( 6-14-13)

3... Celebration Of Angels X Victorian Lace ( 6-16-13)

4... forrestLake Raggamufin X John Benoot (6-17-13)

5... Open my Eyes X Spacecoast CranberryKid ( The First bloom -6-20-13)

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Gilded By Grace X ? ( 7-24-13)

2...Open My eyes X Persian Ruby (7-25-13)

3...Desperado Love X Darla Anita ( 7-25-13)

4... VictorianLace X Tahoe ( 7-25-13)

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Very Nice! They are all beautiful. I think #2 is my favorite.

I showed my 7 year old son how to pollinate a daylily. He has seeds on half of my plants. I have no idea what he crossed any of them with. I was amazed he had more success than I did this year.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

taylordaylily, thanks! lol on your son having more success then you, Too cute! you'll have to post pics of his crosses when they bloom ( He could end up having that rare exceptional one!!!)

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very nice Iris!!! I was surprised to see you got a pod to set on Linda Beck. So far I have had no luck in getting any pods from her.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thankyou Hemlady! I got others that are crossed with Linda beck, But, Don't have any pods. I guess I got lucky on that "one" ~ I have a cross of Gilded By Grace X John Benoot that should open tommorrow and I'm really looking forward to what it's going to look like!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a good one!!! Really like the Linda Beck x John Benoot cross!!! I just went out and dabbed a little Darla Anita pollen on Linda Beck. You never know when they may set a pod. Most of the time Maxfield Parrish won't set pods but ocassionaly the bees will set a pod on it.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Oopss, I meant that I have other crosses of Linda Beck X John Benoot that have not produced any buds yet ( Not pods) I know what you mean about certain ones not setting pods ( I didn't get much at all for pods off of Gilded By Grace and none on some others) Wish they all would but doesn't work that way I guess. I got a lot of pds out there from bee crosses as I didn't do any crosses at all this year ( To which I'm sorry that I didn't cross Crazy Ivan and Desperado Love X Darla Anita today!) but, Still have so many crosses from 2 years ago that I have not seen bloom yet so I'm going to wait on them. I like the way Linda Beck X John Benoot came out! But I think my fav of them was Aunt ethel X John Bennot .
I hope your Darla Anita pollen on Linda Beck works out and you get a pod! ~ I'm going to go out and try a cross right now ...Late in the day for it, But, You never know!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Go for it, I would try anyway, lol.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Iris the seedlings are looking nice. My fav is pink Super Spider x indian Giver.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

When I saw this before there was only 5 seedlings. How did you get 9 more in there?
They are all great ! I really like Linda Beck X John Benoot and Desperado Love X Darla Anita.
I'll post his seedlings for everyone.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Hemlady, I did :) .. We shall see later if it worked.

HazelCrestMikeB, Thanks Mike!!

taylordaylily, I'm confused, Not sure what you mean? ... I haven't had the time to post for a while and just saved the images on the side to post later on and three of them just bloomed today, so thought I would just shove what I got so far on here ( If thats what you mean Pssss-Theres really 8 more, Ones a repeat) ~ And Thankyou!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Iris, I think Taylor DL is referring to her comment that she likes #2..... but then you have multiple #2s listed. :)

I love all of them! But my favs are #2 in the first and second post!

I don't even know how to cross a DL - and that is probably a good thing. I really don't need ANY more hobbies!! ^_^ I can't keep up as it is!

Genna

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

gen2026, Not sure, Maybe that is what it is lol ~ And Thanks!! I hear you on the hobbies, I can't hardly keep up either! Didn't do any crossing this year at all besides just the two that I did yesterday. love seeing how they come out, But, it all adds up alot when continuing to do it. got about 200 pots of crosses outside and only had 13 bloom this year so far and a only a couple more that are going to bloom! Have to wait untill next year to "maybe" see the rest bloom! So definately don't need anymore, Got too much as it is! I actually sold off quite a few daylilys this past spring and will have to do the same this fall, Trying to make it a little easier on myself.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I can see myself selling off a lot of daylilies too. I just can't keep up with the weeds any more.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Iris, When I posted that I liked #2 there was only the first 5 blooms. When I came back later there was 8 more. I didn't notice Open My Eyes X Spacecoast Cranberrykid #3 and #5 were the same bloom. Thanks for helping the brain dead me. It has been so crazy here or maybe it's just me. lol

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

hemlady, yes, It tends to make life harder then it needs to be ( Weeds, Space, And continual care)
taylordaylily, I thought was what you meant when I thought about it later lol

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Well, I can't keep up with all the weeds either but I have put out almost 3 pallets (240 bags) of mulch though after cleaning and cleaning so MAYBE that will help next spring! Looks like i might not even be living there next spring so that figures!! :(

If and when ya'll decide to have a sale, please let me know. Won't be able to buy a bunch, but I would love to add a few more to my collection. I have already decided that if I move, I am going to try to pot up DLs and take them with me.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

gen2026, Will do! We might be moving next spring too ( I'm only going to take 10 top favorites with me if we do move)

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Where will you be moving? Just another location in SC? or a major move to a totally different state?

It looks like we will be moving anywhere from 50 - 100 miles from where we live now. The problem is trying to find "the" place without really knowing the area.......and I hope to do this without moving more than once because I HATE moving! :( Not sure if that will be possible - Might have to move to a temporary location until we can scout out a homeplace ....but then that complicates the issue as to WHERE on earth to store everything and WHAT would I do with all the plants!!???!!!

Trying to stay calm and think it through.....................

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Genna, Wow that is a lot of mulch! I get my mulch by the scoop from a local nursery. I used three scoops this year. One scoop fills the bed of my S-10 pickup truck. Not sure what that would be in bags.
Sorry you have to move. Sounds very stressful. As my Granny would say " Stay calm and pray and it will all work out." Easier said than done if you ask me.

Iris, Not sure I could narrow it down to a top 10 list. Your Good!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

It was a lot of mulch - but I was putting in a huge foundation planting for my house. Been there 10 yrs and FINALLY got it done............now we are leaving. It was so much work - hate to think about having to do it all over again!! I bought 4 pallets of it - because they had it on sale for slightly less than half price - and I KNEW I was going to need a lot! ;) But, we hauled the first pallet - loading and unloading each bag and driving about 90 miles round trip to get it. After realizing how much more we needed, I called and they only charged 30 dollars to deliver - so we got the three other pallets delivered. They were not the prettiest yard art I have ever seen .... :) and they have been in my front yard several months. But it was worth it to me not have to load and unload all of it AND it would have cost me way more than 30 dollars in gas to make all the trips!

Now, I am down to the last pallet.... and i think it only has 4 or 6 bags left on it - so it is barely visable from the road. LOL

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back. Have been enjoying the summer with my son. He goes back to school soon. We have been trying to fit as much fun in as we can. It's starting to wear me out trying to keep up with everything.
I don't blame you for paying for them to deliver. That is a long drive. I have had worse yard art I'm sure. My husband in a huge procrastinator. He put a tarp of dirt in our driveway for a year. I had to get rid of it myself while he was at work. He of course came home and said he was getting to it. Yeah, sure he was.
Sorry you have to move after getting things the way you wanted them. That really stinks. Will keep up the prayers for you and your family.
Have to get going it is so nice outside we are going to go fishing. Have a blessed day!
Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, no matter what it will all work out for the best. Taylordaylily, I haven't seen any pics from you lately? Burnt out already? LOL!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Mike, I haven't burned out. LOL! Have been busy and not had time to keep up with everything. The weather has been so nice we have been going to Kings Island 3 or 4 times a week.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Been to Kings Island once in my life and oh my, there is so much walking between rides. Have they changed that any TD?? Rides were so darn far apart from each other.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hemlady, There is still a lot of walking. I don't mind the walking it's the prices of everything that bother me. My little man loves the water park. The water park has everything spaced out and requires a trek to go from one to the other. My little man goes back to school in 2 weeks so I will get a break then. Hope I can make it.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Sorry all for the late response ..

gen2026, We would like to move closer to the ocean ..Myrtle beach area or Charleston area and want to get a ranch house ( Have a split level now) We have some friends that live out by Myrtel Beach that we could stay with if need be till we found a place, But, If we decide on Charleston, We would be in the same boat as you, So we really need to think this out too. ~ A lot of work with that mulch! I tend to do the same here and hopefully will only do it for one more Spring and that will be it, All done. My next move will involve a lot less gardening, Want to enjoy life more.

taylordaylily, not easy to narrow it down but pretty much know what the 10 would be.

Two blooms today ... Forrrestlake Raggamuffin X John Benoot and Pink Super Spider X Indian Giver

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Iris, Nice seedlings! Love the color on Forrestlake Raggamuffin X John Benoot.
Good Luck on finding a house and moving. Sure understand your wanting a ranch. Have been wishing my house was a ranch for years.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - I would love to live close to the ocean too..... I LOVE listening to the waves. Then I love the mountains too .....Both are a hard day's drive for us - in opposite directions - and the mountains are close to 24 hrs really. We can be at Gulf Shores in about 8. I have never been to Myrtle Beach, but went to Folly beach several years back. We spent a few hours visiting Charleston and I really liked it as well. I think I would love living on the beach - but would probably change my mind once a hurricane headed my way!! :(

Those seedlings are very nice as well.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

taylordaylily, Thanks! We unfortunately won't be moving untill next spring ( If even by then, Lots of planning to do) But, Surely do want a ranch house when we do, It's non nogotiable, Just want a single level with open floor plan, Got 3 levels here and it's like a lot of extra work going up and down the stairs to do things, Especially when I have to carry a vacumn cleaner up and down the stairs ( Definately thought about having a VC for each level, but, Just don't have the room to leave one out) Always vacuming because my dog sheds a lot. When doing Deep Cleaning, I feel like I'm cleaning 3 houses! Top, Middle, And Bottom! It would be Soo much easier with one level in a lot of ways, Cleaning, Decorating, keeping up with without going up and down the stairs a zillion times a day, ect! What type of home do you have?

gen2026, My hubby loves the ocean and I enjoy it too ( Though I'm more of a Deep woods person) So I figured we'd both be happier if we moved closer to the ocean.He would get what he wants and I'd get what I want. There really isn't a whole lot to do in the area we live in now, It's mostly shopping and dining out, Niether of which I like to do very much, ( I like to go out to eat once in a while, But, not crazy about doing that all the time, I'd just as soon make a nice dinner at home, And as for shopping, I don't buy anything unless I need it, I'm not the kind of person who wears fancy clothes or shoes or jewelry ect so I don't frequent the stores here too much) The one thing that I would miss here, Is the fact that the usefull stores are all lined up on the strip down the road from us ( Lowes, Home depot, wallmart, Wallgreens, Grocery stores, Fast food, Ect. So if we need whatever at the store, It's only 5-10 minutes away. ~~~The ocean always has plenty to do, Walking along the beach, Fishing, Swimming, Boating ect. and theres always that nice breeze that comes through and is there all the time! And one thing I really do love is you can get Fresh Fish all the time! Thats something that I can't get where we are now. As is, Myrtle Beach is about 5 hours from us, The mountains are about hour and half. We would like to be right on the outskirts of the ocean so it wouldn't be far to go to get there ( 20 minutes to half hour) Charleston is a beautiful area, But, It's also very Pricey there, Myrtle Beach area is cheaper but not as nice as the charleston area, We really need to think on how we want to go on this as I know it will be our last move. ~~~~You really do live a ways from both mountains and ocean! You must not get to go to either much at all no??

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

No, we don't get to do either one very often. We have been snowing skiing a few times - and it is one of my kids very favorite things to do. So often we skip vacations for several years in order to be able to drive the 24 hrs that it takes to get there and let them ski for 3 days. Time before last when we went, I sprained my knee really bad, so last time we went, my husband and I did not ski, but just enjoyed the scenery and took lots of pics of the kids. That has been 2.5 yrs ago. I had hoped that my oldest son, who is in his third year of med school, MIGHT be able to get his rotations to work where we might could go this coming Spring. But with all the changes going on and the pending move - that probably will never happen. :( I love the beach probably more than my kids do. My oldest son doesn't like the beach AT ALL - and the youngest son likes it pretty well. My daughter loves the beach but isn't that crazy about actually going "in" the ocean although she will venture in a little ways. I don't go in far either because I am not a good swimmer at all..... but I love the sounds of the ocean and the breeze. I think it would be awesome to live near the beach and spend my days sewing on projects in a sewing room with the windows open to feel the breeze....LOL, but that is just another one of my day dreams. I love the woods as well - and since we have those around here that is what I will get when I more.... or at least I hope because i really do not want to move to town!

I just realized you live in Greenville. My brother lived there several years ago - and it was on a visit to see him that we went over to Folley and to Charleston for a couple of days. He really loved that location because he was close to the beach and the mountains.

Arkansas has some "mountains" in the NW corner of the state - and in fact the area where we will probably have to move is in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains - and is a much hillier (is that a word?) terrain that where we live now - but still nothing compared to the Rockies of course!

Good luck on finding the perfect spot. I thought when we built our home and moved almost 10 yrs ago - that it would be our last time as well, but I was wrong. It is a bit overwhelming at times, but I am trying hard to look at it like a new adventure - some days I am successsful..... some days I am not! :)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Iris, We have a quad-level. It's a work out on laundry day 4 sets of stairs. It does feel like your cleaning several house's. On the bright side it keeps you in shape. That is funny, I do have several vacuum cleaner's. The only floor that doesn't have one is the basement. I like my house just not a fan of all the stairs. We have a 2 story fireplace pic 1 that is my favorite thing about the house. It's a custom built home with a open floor plan.
pic 2 is my cup plant. It is about 8' tall and only staring to bloom.
pic 3 is Christopher Moody new plant from Maryott's just planted in July.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - 4 levels .... that would be trying for sure! I love the fireplace though....except how on earth do you avoid spider webs and such in places that can't be reached? I have a hard enough time with the vaulted ceiling in my LR and bedroom! LOL

LOVE that cup plant!! Never heard of that...... and the DL is beautiful! Amazing that it was just planted!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Genna, Yes, it can be very hard to keep up with at times. It's not easy to dust the fireplace or the ceiling in that room. I put a stool on the pedestal (Pic 1) that has the angel on it and use a 12' poll with duster on end of it or I get out the big ladder and drag a vacuum up the ladder. Either way makes me very nervous. We no longer burn fires in it as you can tell. My son has asthma really bad and the fireplace seemed to add to the problem. We have a vaulted ceiling in our bedroom as well. In a way they are harder to keep clean due to the beams of wood all over.
The cup plant (Silphium perfoliatum) is a native plant. It earned it's name cup plant from the way the big leaves come from the thick stem of plant. They hold water that wildlife uses to drink from. My back yard started as a wildflower garden and then my love of daylilies started and now my wildflowers have to share their space with my non-native daylilies. My chipmunk seems to enjoy the daylilies joining the garden. He always plays with new daylilies and this year has went to eating the blooms. I'm not real big on his eating my blooms. But I'm sure he's not going anyplace. He has been around several years. I use to try to get rid of him and then just gave up after a couple years.
I was amazed to get a bloom this soon. Was happy to see it.
Have to get going house cleaning is waiting on me.
Karen

Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Gen you wrote:
Good luck on finding the perfect spot. I thought when we built our home and moved almost 10 yrs ago - that it would be our last time as well, but I was wrong. It is a bit overwhelming at times, but I am trying hard to look at it like a new adventure - some days I am successsful... some days I am not! :) ... To this, I say " Thankyou!" and I'm kinda surprised that you would think of moving after building your home 10 years ago. This surely would be our last move ( Age and funding puts this in prospective) so we have to make sure to pick the right home/area, Don't know if that perfect place for us is actualy out there, but, We are going to be looking.

taylordaylily, My God, 4 sets of stairs! Lordy Lordy!! I don't think I could do it!! Geeze, I thought going down 2 flights of stairs in our home to do laundry was bad, I wouldn't want to even imagine 4 flights, Yikes!!! ~ I admit, It does help keep you in shape, but, really gets tireing sometimes! It's Great that you have an open floor plan and Love that fireplace you have !!! ~ Really like that cup plant and the story on it! And LOVE that new addition called Christopher Moody!!! Absolutely Beautiful!!! ~ Carefull when cleaning the top of that FP, I got a few high spots here ( Not near as high as yours) and I get nervous too when I have to get up on the stool to clean!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Iris, It can keep you busy that is a fact. It's easier when school is in. School will start soon and mom will have peace and a clean house! One more week! I even have a bag of Ghirardelli chocolates to celebrate the occasion. I don't sound to excited do I? We have been at Kings island 4 out of 7 days the past 4 weeks. We are going again in the morning. I will dream of my peace and chocolates till then if I survive. lol!
Thanks! Cup plant is a great native giant. I'll have to get a picture this weekend of it. It looks real pretty right now. It looks like bouquets of yellow daisy's.
Christopher Moody was a bonus plant. I'm very happy with it. I dusted it on a few. We'll see what happens.
Do you have any more seedlings to bloom? My season is almost over. I still have some rebloomers going but my late's are wrapping up. I need to get some more late bloomers.
Better get going I need a good night sleep to make it at Kings Island all day.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

taylordaylily, Keep peace and chocolates in mind for sure to help you make it!!! LOL!! If you have the time and can actually get a picture of the Cup plant, Sure would like to see it! Hope you get something out of your Christopher Moody dusting, Such a gorgeous bloom!! got a couple late bloomers and about 7 more seedlings with scapes and buds, Can't wait, It's always a surprise to see what comes out of the seedlings!! ~ Hope you all have a Great Time at Kings Island ! ( Though I feel it's probably going to take the stuffing out of you!! .. Remember ~ Chocolates And Peace!!) This is a pic of my most recent bloomer ( Bloomed the other day) ~
BorderLord X Space Coast Cranberry kid

Thumbnail by IRIS
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

TD, I love CM.
Iris, love that seedling.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.