City Light?

taipei, Taiwan

This plant was bred from tender seedlings of Native Spirit(see http://www.rosydawngardens.com/native-spirit-409.html) .
Because a new added central white part on the foliage is satured by the deep red freckles, this plant becomes more colorful than its parents. I have checked up similar cultivars in Ray Roger’s book(Page204), and found that it could be City Lights.
As I know, Native Spirit (introduced by A Vern Ogren)usually breeds new sports. And this is the second time I meet the sport. Now I am trying to preserve it by seeds.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2013 4:02 AM

Thumbnail by Yubiker Thumbnail by Yubiker
Stockholm, Sweden

it's beautiful, I would certainly like to buy some seeds from you if you manage to make some :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi Alice! Miss seeing you around here. Please drop in more often.

taipei, Taiwan

Thank you very much, Alice, I got this plant from Native Spirit, which is a very unstable cultivar like Saturn or Careless Love. Therefore I doubt whether I can get plants with uniform foliage from their seeds.
I will sow these seeds immediately after they bloom in the late summer. Will you try the same way? If so, I can gather their seeds and send them to you. While considering the problem of overwintering in your place, I think sending young plants will be a good alternative to you.

Stockholm, Sweden

Pirl: Thank you, dear coleus friend. OK, I will try to pop in here more often - well, I have to admit that Facebook is taking so much of my time nowadays :)

Yes, Alice, please do.

Yubiker: when did you first begin growing coleuses?

Stockholm, Sweden

Yubiker: OK, thank you very much! If you have fully grown plants, maybe sending me cuttings (before September) will be best? In return, I may send you some European coleus cuttings, I have many big coleus plants in my garden now :)

This message was edited Aug 8, 2013 10:50 PM

taipei, Taiwan

Dear Pirl:
My first growing plants of Coleus (Rainbow Series)was started in 1976. Because it is difficult for us to import cutting-grown plants from the nurseries overseas, I spent a lot of time on breeding plants from seeds.

Dear Alice:
If it is possible that the delivery service by FedEx from Taiwan to your place can be finished within 5days, I can offer the cuttings to you. I did this for my friends living in U.S.A. by sending some aquarium plants before, maybe it can work on coleus cuttings,too.

Wow! You've loved them for a long time.

Stockholm, Sweden

Starting in 1976!!! I'm so impressed! My first coleus plant (Coleus 'Elinor') I got appr. 1997, and since then my coleus collection has been growing rapidly in numbers, it's such a fun hobby :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.