Best method to kill weeds growing between pavers

Waconia, MN

Can any of you please share remedies of killing weeds that grow in between pavers in a patio? I know I could use roundup, but there is a pond nearby with fish, frogs, birds, etc., so I would prefer to attempt some sort of organic solution. Any tips or success stories of remedies you have tried?

I think I've read of boiling hot water, maybe vinegar solution, ..., I guess I'm hoping to hear of tried-n-true remedies that have worked for you and hopefully the weeds didn't come back as crazy in subsequent years.

Thanks much!

Thumbnail by jzempel1 Thumbnail by jzempel1
Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

I've used the vinegar solution and it did work really well BUT not on ALL weed types, like everything, even weed killers, there are some type of weeds that will need more than one go at finishing them off, the best 2 ways for such an area is to use weed killer, BUT run the mower over the weeds to cause damage to the foliage, then take a very small brush (a ladies make up brush is great, because it is soft haired) anyway, you paint the killer onto the damaged weeds and the damage helps to get the killer quicker into the growing foliage that is taken down into the root system much faster than the normal instructions AND by painting the killer, you dont get the killer going in the wrong directions like towards water features, neighbouring plants or blown in the wind, soon as the killer dries, in a few minutes, it cant damage any other plants within the same area.
The second and more therapeutic way (for me anyway) is to use a tool like a knife but it has a curved blade that you remove the weeds from between the stones by tugging with one hand and sliding the blade under the weeds root area both movements at the same time, within 5 min's, you will be surprised just how large an area you have cleared and no chemicals required.
I have an area of very old hundred year old Scottish cobble stones outside my greenhouse and I clear that area by using the tool bought from garden store very cheaply, I make a kneeling pad with old newspapers inside a poly bag, and off I go, an afternoon clears the large area for me but some times I just allow an hour at a time and before you know it, I am filling in the gaps between the stones with special sand mix for paving, it has additives to help prevent fast regrowth but the weeds will still find a way back again but they do in the garden beds anyway, there is no garden thats weed free, we just manage them better in some areas better than others.
Good luck and best regards. WeeNel.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

You are asking 2 questions:
1) How to kill existing weeds.
2) How to prevent future weeds.

1) Almost any method that kills plants can work, but the run off problem makes it important that less toxic methods be used.
You can flame them. This is not an actual fire, but a hot blast from a special tool that uses propane.
You can hand remove. This goes well with the next suggestion.

2) Remove the bricks/pavers. Re-level as needed. Compact. Lay down plastic sheeting. Re-install the pavers.
Use polymetric sand between the pavers. This is a special product with glue in it that will seal the gaps between the pavers so weeds cannot grow.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

This may sound really radical or old-fashioned or something, but I just weed them out, same as WeeNel is describing. It is the ultimate and original "organic" solution!

It's difficult to judge the scale of the spaces between the pavers (looks narrow?) but you might also consider intentionally growing something to occupy the spaces where weeds otherwise grow, e.g. Thymus praecox 'Minus', Herniaria glabra, etc..

Opp, AL(Zone 8b)

Previous advice covers most of what I was going to say. One half-way approach might be to kill existing weeds with boiling water, then sweep new sand into the cracks. If you do that once in a while, it will make the seeds less likely/able to lodge in the cracks. When you pull weeds out, there's usually some of the filler/sand that comes out too.

Cambridge, ON(Zone 6a)

I use a flamer.

Its handy, fast and easy.
If I do sometimes hand weed if they get big (and yes those hooked knife things are wonderful for between cracks) but really the flamer is one of my favorite garden tools now. Worked amazing on the invasive Garlic Mustard (and others).

This message was edited Sep 25, 2013 8:41 PM

Opa Locka, FL

I'm also considering about this issue right now. And if we talk about pavers, and everything that's related to the garden's them.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2020 3:58 AM

New York, United States

Paving stones are not the most durable material, so all sorts of solutions with vinegar will work. You can periodically remove weeds yourself. It is not so difficult, and you will be able to keep the yard in frequency. I have a cobblestone courtyard myself. Very nice material. Recently, I even decided to build myself a staircase made of paving stones. I don't have much experience in building stairs. I managed it in a couple of days.
In extreme cases, use weed remedies!

This message was edited Jul 4, 2021 7:57 AM

Halltown, WV

I have tried all the methods to kill weeds in my lawn and driveway but nothing works. Last month I got an effective weed killer. I love it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.