root knot nematodes

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

I pulled my squash & found the roots looking all knotted up. They look identical to the pics online of root knot nematodes. The info I've found says I can move the garden or try to find crops they don't like or r resistant. Is there no way to get rid of these things?

Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78 Thumbnail by brownthumb78
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've had sick plants with roots like that before, and wondered if they were nematodes. Sorry no one seems to be able to help.
I once read that a heavy dose of dry mustard powder, in the hole when planting pepper plants, would prevent their nematodes.

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Hmm its worth a try. I planned on solarizing the area then leaving it unused for a year or two but my garden is so small I hate to lose even that small amount of space so I.ll try anything. Thank u!

I just googled up a sheet from UC IPM. Nematodes sound like a really tough problem, suggestions are fallowing, rotating crops, and generally making other conditions better so plants and soil are healthy as possible going into the season.

I quit trying green peppers.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I thought this article might be helpful!
http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-7529.pdf

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

If it is your first time to have root knot nematodes and you purchased those plants that have them, you might try drenching the soil / area you pulled them from with boiling water.

We got them from some tomato plants we purchased (when we lived in Alabama.) I didn't know what they were at the time so didn't know what to do but I wish that I had spent a few days pouring boiling water on the spots and anywhere the soil might have gotten contaminated with them.

We were never able to grow tomatoes, melons and many other common plants in that garden again. (We tried solarizing but it didn't work.)

Since we have moved to Texas we grow everything from seed. This keeps from introducing pests like root knot nematodes and spider mites to the current garden.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I've read that turning green plants of the mustard family into the soil helps against nematodes.

Mustard, broccoli, cabbage, turnips, and radishes.

Indy that would be excellent- mustard grows well as a winter crop in zone 8 which I can manage in some places here...after it gets super hot-spicy in spring, it could be chopped up for green manure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.