Flow Through Worm Bin

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi My Friends,
I have shown you the flow through worm bin I build last February. Now I am going to start a new thread so I can post updates on how things are going. I have read where some have trouble keeping the worms at home as the bottom of the bin is wide open.
My grandkids and I set it up and dumped an existing bin into it. Maybe I should have started from scratch as others would do if just starting.
Our neighbor has a plum tree that is loaded and the ground around it is covered with plums. We scooped up a bucket full and poured it over the worms.
We will see how things work out.
Stay tuned for updates.
Paul.

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Here is a picture of the flow through bin.
I wasn't allowed to post a picture when starting a forum title.

Thumbnail by lonejack
Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Here are the pictures I used in the post I did last winter.

Thumbnail by lonejack Thumbnail by lonejack Thumbnail by lonejack
Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Dear Friends,
Well, I twirled or turned the PVC TEEs causing the screw grids to turn approximately 4 turns, I didn't count. The system worked perfectly!! It was hard enough to turn initially that I had to use a pipe to turn the TEE the first 90 degrees. Then it became real easy to turn. I think the initial first turn needed to fracture the paper I laid down to keep the first load from falling through the grid.
The compost came out just great, no lumps and few worms. I waited long enough so I don't think I will have very many cocoons that will hatch. We will see.
This winter I will cover the whole thing with a heavy canvas to shield it from the cold. I might even put a light bulb in during the coldest period, December through March.
My Wish for You,, A Fantastic Day, Paul.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.