I don't grow any flowers
(4 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other? (tell us!)
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

I always plan to cut some flowers to enjoy in the house; but during the growing season, I'm hardly ever in the house. So, I leave them outside, where I can enjoy them. I do, however, make a point to buy cut flowers for the house all winter. Better and cheaper than therapy!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I find it rather odd to be looking at wilted flowers in a vase, with the healthy ones right outside in the garden. So I don't bring them in very often during the growing season. In the winter, though, I also go for the instant therapy of grocery store bouquets.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I raid may garden when I want cut flowers indoors. It isn't often in the summertime, but when I'm having company, I generally cut a few vasefulls of whatever's blooming. In the winter, I grab whatever looks the freshest at the supermarket when I need a 'flower fix'

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i prefer a sparse arrangement of odd or colorful leaves, twigs, etc. more than flowers in the house.

i recently cut a huge leaf from my Caladium 'Red Flash' and stuck it in a vase in the kitchen. it lasted about three weeks before i decided to press it.

in the winter i have so many pots inside that i don't even think about flowers.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I voted with the majority here ,, every so often I will cut a few Peony for Mothers or Memorial day , thing such as that ..other than that , the flowers grow where they are ,, I like it that way .
Hummingbirds, Butterflies ,are more fun to watch than cut flowers .lol

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

I so agree with ou Juhur-i love watching all the creatures going from flower to flower

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

When they first start blooming, I will cut a bouquet for the house. They deteriorate too quickly in the house. Summer is 1/2 gone and they do not look as well as they did earlier. Luciee {;^)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hardly ever cut my flowers, just a few on occasion. If a flower or stem breaks out in the yard, I cut it and bring that inside. I prefer them outside where they benefit the bees, butterflies and birds. What I like to cut are my mints, especially the Chocolate mint and Kentucky Colonel mint, put them in water and set them by the sink where I can rub and sniff them whenever I'm there. Or here on my desk where the computer resides. However, cats sometimes reside here too so knocking over vases, etc. can be a definite problem.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I have a small deck just outside the back door where I keep some flowers in pots. I change them out every few days so they can get some sun.

The bird feeder is hanging just above this area, and I can see it all from my comfy chair with the laptop and lapdog on my lap!

Being retired has it's rewards. ^_^

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

generally leave where growing; ultra-curious housecats will seek and destroy!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I couldn't imagine not having a few bouquets from my garden. I figure it's just deadheading a bit early... Just made one for my daughter today, it's her 18th aniversary today, but forgot to get a photo.. And if I don't have some of the flowers I want in the bouquet I hit the grocery store for fill ins...ie #5 had store bought gypsophila as it wasn't in season and made for an auction at a fund raiser.

I also make bouquets for my grandaughters so they can each have their very own flowers for their rooms, and were taken on shopping trips to pick out the vases they like. Hopefully it willl give them a love of flowers that will follow them their whole lives, what better gift can one give for so little money....memories!!!! Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, outside as we keep it dark n cool in house, when we get home that is... Winter gets basil cuttings in the kitchen window to root til spring tho...only time we are inside is hiding from heat anyway...

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Agreed that it is sad to see a vase of dying blooms but... when I can't be outdoors during the work week I like to take a bouquet of cut blooms to work with me. It cheers me and elicits many comments from customers.

A favorite this summer was daylily blooms with stalks of dill seed tucked in. Amazing how pretty a bouquet it made and how freshly fragrant the dill made the room. I was tickled to see folks take photos of it.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I do remember that when I worked in an office, I brought cut flowers in all the time. Now that I work from home, I just look out the window.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

On rare occasion I will decide to cut some flowers for indoors. Sometimes I will cut some especially lovely blooms for a neighbor or friend or as a hostess gift when going to dinner at a friend's home. Most years at Christmas I cut all of my remaining roses to make one very large and beautiful arrangement for whomever hosts Christmas dinner that year.

All that said, I choose to leave the vast majority of my flowers right where they are growing. I figure that way I can enjoy them, neighbors and passersby can enjoy them, the plethora of bees, hummingbirds, and such can enjoy them, and the birds can enjoy the seeds when the flowers fade (for those that produce seeds).

Lake Helen, FL

The consolation for August heat is four o'clocks...lots of four o'clocks. Of course,what you do is, you leave them outside. Then, you fix yourself a cathead biscuit with some sliced peaches and a dap of ice cream, pour a mug of ice tea, and go enjoy them... right around four o'clock.

Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine
Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Reynardine, If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd come over and join you for iced tea! LOL

Anyway, I spend a lot of time in my gardens in the summer, but I still like to take some flowers from here and there and make a bouquet!

Thumbnail by PAgirl60
Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Growing Brugmansia / Angel Trumpets they don't last as a cut flower at this time but I'm sure that the growers around the world have been working on it so that we can bring them in side with out fading

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I am surprised to see so many said they leave their flowers in their gardens. I thought I was the only gardener that did that!

My SIL cuts her flowers all of the time. And yes, it is dead heading early. Plus, some perennials will give you a second bloom. I am getting second blooms on some now.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I sit outside most every evening among my planters and build a small fire in my campfire table and injoy everything till after dark,including fireflys.
Vickie

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

cando..if you like to sit ooutside in the evenings you need to get some Nicotiana sandersae Heaven Scent or Nicotiana sylvestris...the hawk moths come out at night and flit about the garden stealing nectar and they smell wonderful to boot!!!!

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

warriorswisdomkathy ... I've read that Nicotiana smells heavenly, but I understand it gets HUGE. Does it need any kind of staking for support?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

There are a few varieties that are 18-24", N. s. Heaven Scent, N, sylvetris is 5-6ft, and neither need staking, the later gets 3-4ft at the base, flowers are 4-6" long. There are some newer (short varieties also) and most nurserues that do sell the nicotianas are the non fragrant ones, so ASK.. The N.s. H. Scent will reseed in the garden, could just get a packet and drop the seeds this season and let them come up on their own next spring... If you want to see them in a catalog, try T&MSEEDS.com.....( Naughty me I still have to get my seedlings in the ground, been busy..lol)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.