What can daylily and tiger lily hybridize with

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I have both orange daylily and tiger lily growing. They are very hardy. I was wondering can they hybridize with eachother. And what other lilies can they hybridize with?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

True Tiger Lilies are a bulb and not even in the daylily species. You might be referring to a ditch lily often called tiger lilies but they are not and they are sterile.

I'm talking about tall plant orange flower with black specks. They get bulbets. It's says there are hybrids of them in various colors.

If not daylily can it hybridize with other tiger lily or asiatic lily?

Quote from hemlady :
True Tiger Lilies are a bulb and not even in the daylily species. You might be referring to a ditch lily often called tiger lilies but they are not and they are sterile.

http://www.projectnoah.org/spottings/12448371

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

ok, you should then be able to cross it with other asiatics I would think.

Quote from hemlady :
ok, you should then be able to cross it with other asiatics I would think.

I'm going to try crossing it with Stargazer Lily. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_'Stargazer'

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a good idea.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

You may want to be careful putting Tiger lily close to you Stargazer lily. Tiger lilies can carry a virus that can kill other lilies. It does not affect the Tiger lily they are immune to the virus but can carry it to other lilies. If you want to cross them I would dust the Stargazer on the Tiger lily. That way the Tiger lily does not come into contact with the Stargazer lily.
Good Luck! Hope you grow some new pretty lilies! Have fun!

Quote from taylordaylily :
You may want to be careful putting Tiger lily close to you Stargazer lily. Tiger lilies can carry a virus that can kill other lilies. It does not affect the Tiger lily they are immune to the virus but can carry it to other lilies. If you want to cross them I would dust the Stargazer on the Tiger lily. That way the Tiger lily does not come into contact with the Stargazer lily.
Good Luck! Hope you grow some new pretty lilies! Have fun!

Thank you for letting me know I didn't know they could spread diseases like that. I have moved my stargazer away.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Your Welcome!

Well, I tried crossing tiger lily with stargazer lily. The tiger lily was not receptive to stargazer pollen, however the stargazer lily had growing seed pods for almost 2 months! But just recently they suddenly turned yellow and withered away. Inside was many tiny seeds so small you could blow them away so I'm guessing they weren't fully developed.

My question is although seeds didnt fully mature, being the pods did grow for nearly 2 months does that mean its possible for it to work if I try again?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You may want to pose this question on the Lillies forum. There are more people who grow and hybridize bulb lilies over there and maybe they would be more familiar with hybridizing them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.