How do you keep grass out of your daylilies?

Knollwood, TX

This year I have to dig all my patch up & separate out the Bermuda grass that has invaded. How do you keep Bermuda out of your daylilies?

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Thankfully right now I don't have that problem, but it seems the only way would be to put a barrier between the grass and the bed of daylilies. I do have a plastic barrier material for one of my beds, but I just edge the others occasionally with the shovel.

Knollwood, TX

It's strange... the LAWN around the patch is all St. Augustine, and there are no barriers... the only place that Bermuda is growing in that area of the yard (we have 2 acres, so we have it in some spots, just not there, being patient to let the St. Augustine push it all out) is IN MY DAYLILIES! Grrrr!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a lot of grass in my vegetable garden this year and it is very aggravating.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Once Bermuda grass is established in an area, it is almost impossible eradicate. There are no chemical controls other than something like the much maligned Roundup and that kills ALL vegetation. Bermuda grass sends out runners on top of the ground and down fairly deeply under the ground. It also reseeds. It is devilish and I must say I hate it. It can be dug up and dug out mechanically. Talk about a chore. It will send runners underneath black plastic and landscape cloth and will laugh at solarization. However, if you keep at a combination of these methods, it can be conquered. Unfortunately, the daylily bed may be a casualty. :(

Knollwood, TX

I'm afraid that might be true, Cville. My big problem with that is that with all my trees in my yard, sunny space is at a premium. We have a spot over by the pool that's been invaded with Bermuda & we're getting the help of a lawn/sprinkler guy to dig it out, since we're having clay soil replaced with good & a new drain put out in that area. I, too, simply despise Bermuda, and I'm really glad that our yard is 85% St. Augustine... but that requires a somewhat shady area, so the shade isn't my enemy, but I DO like to have my sun plants/flowers, too! :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Bermuda definitely likes the sun and will grow toward it. Our neighbors don't edge or maintain the fence line on their side and I have Bermuda growing over into my yard and plantings. Makes me mad. Grrrrr...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.