Food list for FAll RU at Jim's house

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Post here what you will bring food wise.

Jim/Kenny is bringing the BBQ & drinks.
RJ Bohl is bringing potato salad
Kathy White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
CHarlotte , Baked beans
Kim, Dessert
Marilyn, plastic ware/plates
Wanda elder: Coleslaw, creamy cheesey potatoes and lemonaid
so we can plan our food accordingly!

This message was edited Sep 13, 2013 8:34 PM

This message was edited Sep 13, 2013 8:35 PM

This message was edited Sep 13, 2013 8:35 PM

This message was edited Sep 14, 2013 10:38 AM

This message was edited Sep 18, 2013 7:52 PM

This message was edited Oct 4, 2013 7:19 AM

Ripley, MS

I can fill in any gaps, I am close so can bring whatever is needed

Olive Branch, MS

Like before we will do the BBQ and drinks unless ya'll can think of something else to have.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I can do baked beans unless someone else wants to.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I will bring a dessert...don't know what just yet...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

As Sandra said before the last RU: "I will bring something". LOL

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I'll bring something too. tee hee hee

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't know but I think we have too many people bringing something rofl Haha

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yeah, you are right, Kathy Ann. Too many "somethings"! LOL I will try to think of "something" else! :D

Ripley, MS

Whatever something we all bring will be good, great bunch of cooks here! My friend Missy is planning on coming and I also invited Brenda from GA

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes it always works out and it's always very, very good!!!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Since so many are planning on bringing "something," I believe I will change and bring "nothing." HA HA HA

Ripley, MS

You are right, Kim !!! I think I will bring my appetite !!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

All these big appetites are going to need something!!!

Ripley, MS

We got something, and more something !

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Lol you guys crack me up!!!

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Now that's hilarious!!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Did someone say they were bringing, buns, what about plastic silverware, plates napkins etc.... is someone bringing that?

We have the baked beans charlotte is bringing and RJ is bringing potatoe salad, Kim has somekind of dessert, and I'll probably bring a dessert too.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Okay, I will bring the plastic forks, knives, spoons, paper plates, napkins. and maybe "something else". :D

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

ok, thanks.

Ripley, MS

We will fill in everything the last week and have plenty of stuff !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We always have plenty! It will all work out.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

True enough !!

Ripley, MS

If I can get the complete recipe, I will make the cheese log Janna made for the wedding, she was telling us what was in it, but I don't remember all of it, I know it had a stick of butter and pineapple ice cream topping in it. It was very good

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

A stick of butter in a cheese log? That's strange.

Ripley, MS

I know, but it was so good!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I put myself down to bring homemade white chocolate macadamia nut cookies . figured it would be easiest since there will be 3 of us in one truck plus all our plants. and we can eat some on the way ha ha

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Just be sure to leave some for the rest of us. :D

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Don't count on it Marilyn!!! LOL

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Lol yeah what Charlotte said. Lol. Ill make a double batch !! Remembering. That I need to eat these in moderation. Lol

Ripley, MS

I got the recipe so I will bring some cheese logs, it is so simple
1-16oz cream cheese
1- stick butter or margarine
3-tablespoons pineapple ice cream topping
Put pecans on the log

Will bring crackers too

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Is that the recipe that was on Facebook, Charlotte? Sounds really rich and, naturally, it doesn't have any calories! LOL

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

No calories!!!! Marilyn I don't remember. There have been so many recipes they are all running together.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here is one from FB that I plan to try. My cousin that cooks as much or more than Kathy Ann if that's possible made these and posted a picture. I had her send me the recipe.
Almond Joy Cookies
how can you go wrong with chocolate and coconut?

Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups chocolate chips
2 cups sweetened coconut
2 cups chopped almonds
Directions
Pre-heat oven to 375°F Lightly grease cookie sheets.
Combine dry ingredients, set aside.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, stir in the vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients until well mixed then stir in the chocolate chips, coconut and almonds. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow! Those sound yummy! I'm copying and pasting the recipe into my word processor so I can find it later. I'll try those out for our "Military Cookie Connection" in November. Our community gets together and has a cookie exchange every year. Each woman brings four dozen cookies -- two dozen to exchange and two dozen to send to military personnel serving overseas.
If any of you have a relative or friend overseas, send me their address and we will send cookies to them, too.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

These would be good for the swap but don't think they would be good to ship. I ship chocolate chip cookies to my grandsons from time to time. I send them 3 day priority mail and they are still good when they get them. But I sent some to Jake and forgot to tell him to check his box and they were there a week before he got them. Still editable but as he put it not the best he'd ever eaten from me. From what I've read the very hard cookies like wedding cookies, etc stay fresh the longest. Don't think it's just whether or not they want crumble in shipping but some just last longer than others. I used to make and still do from time to time a cookie called Pizzelle. You do need a waffle type appliance to cook them in. A Pizzelle maker. They are very flat and thin and stack very well. I worked with an Italian lady probably 40 years ago and she would make them and bring to the office. I liked them so well I bought my own Pizzelle maker. They store for a long time.

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Well I should bring "something" that travels well, the corn salad didn't travel to well last time. I make a good pasta salad I can prob mix it all up except the dressing and add that the day of RU. I feel sure I'll come the night before and stay somewhere with "something". DH is having a fit because I'll be traveling alone, but oh well some things a girls just gotta do! ;)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I know about the Pizzelle cookies, Charlotte. Buddy's cousin's wife used to make those at Christmas every year. She was Italian and was a great cook. I had never heard of them until I married Buddy and met his cousin's wife. I really liked those cookies--they were different.

I have wondered how well the cookies keep because I know it takes from 2 - 3 weeks for the military folk to get the cookies. However, one lady whose granddaughter was in Afghanistan last year, told us that the cookies got there fine and even though they were a little stale, the soldiers liked them (at least that is what her granddaughter told her although she could have embellished the truth a bit because she didn't want to hurt her grandmother's feelings.)
Personally, I really doubt that the cookies would be all that good after 3 weeks. I can't imagine them staying fresh that long. They are packed in 11 oz coffee cans and mailed that way. Supposedly the cookies travel better in that size can and stay fresher, too. Who knows for sure?

Trish, I hate it that you are going to have to travel alone to the RU. Is there some way you can meet up with Charlotte and her group and follow them?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The pizzelles actually will last several weeks and still taste fresh. However you do have to buy a pizzelle maker. They're not very expensive. I'm still using the same one I bought almost 40 years ago. It's the thought behind sending the cookies anyway. My guess most are probably pretty stale after 3 weeks. But I know they really appreciate them anyway. My grandson tried to be tactful but he admitted the ones that sat for a week before he got them were stale. I used to send them cookies in tin containers but I started using Glad disposal containers. They work great! I use slightly more flour in my chocolate chip cookies so they are pretty firm and I make them on the small side. I've found they pack better that way. I just layer them in the container until it's full (doesn't shake when the lid is on) and they make it without getting broken. I always make mine for them the same day I'm going to send them and always at the first of the week. So from the time I make them until they get them it is 3 days.

What about party mix, bark covered pretzels, etc.

I would be glad for Trish to follow us but I think she will be coming from the opposite direction. She lives right at the LA border. Also sounds like she is going up the night before and we are going over early Sat morning.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That's a good idea about adding more flour to the chocolate chip cookie recipe and also making them smaller. Like you said, it's the thought behind the cookies that counts. I don't know if they have ever thought about sending party mix, etc. That sounds like a good idea, too. Plus all the ladies who take part--there were about 75 of us last year--enjoy doing it. We have a pot luck luncheon and a short program so it is a good chance to get together, too. It is a community-wide project among the churches here.

Yeah, I guess it won't be possible for Trish to meet up with ya'll but it's a shame that she is having to drive it alone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.