Oak leaf hydrangeas

(Zone 7a)

When should I cut back my oak leaf hydrangea? zone 7

(Zone 7a)

This oak leaf hydrangea has been crowed by a big red tip, that was recently cut down. I need to trim the hydrangea so it will look good, now that it has plenty of room to grow. I just need to know when I should cut it back. Thanks MaryK_

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I am sure there are others here more versed on hydrangea pruning. I would trim it back after it is done blooming. Might as well stick those cuttings and give some plants to your neighbors and friends.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

My Macrophyllas and Oakleafs begin to develop invisible flower buds in July. I have lost bloomage by pruning around mid July so, if you do not care about getting blooms in 2014, you can prune now. Other wise, prune after the plant has bloomed but before the end of June.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I thought it would be O.K. to prune now or I may wait till the end of July.

(Zone 7a)

luis_pr, I misunderstood what you said when you said you had lost blooms by pruning mid July. I looked at mine it is planted on the south side close to the house, and it has already turned pink and began to dry, where it's had some sun. Do you think I still should wait? Thanks MaryK_

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

You can deadhead the blooms now... if you wish. But, no, I would not prune the stems as invisible flower buds are being developed n-o-w.

In early Spring several years ago, a friend of mine who likes to make dried flower arrangements asked if she could "use" the blooms from my hydrangeas. I told her yes but she waited until mid-July to cut. The following Spring, I had only two blooms total from over a dozen plants.

:o(

(Zone 7a)

luis_pr, Thanks for the info. MaryK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.