translate: "Brauner Trotzkopf" from german

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Could someone please help me translate: "Brauner Trotzkopf" from German to English?

I see "Brown something-head"

Trotz might be "despite" "brave" or "defiant" or "stubburn", one person tells me.

It is a somewhat loose-headed butterhead lettuce with bronze or red tips and brown specles. It resists bolting (resists going to flowers and seeds), so maybe
"Brown Tenacious-head"?

Could 'despite-head" mean "it forms heads, but despite that, they are not very TIGHT dense heads"?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

If it's a cultivar name, it keeps the same spelling in all languages (same as e.g. personal names)

Resin

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Resin,

I agree with you in principle, but it is being marketed here as "Pirat", perhaps assuming that we couldn't handle the challenge of spelling the original name correctly.

I also read that it had two names in Germany" A.K.A "Sprenkel" .

Probably only one name can be "the official" cultivar name, but I don't know where to look that up. All the other names should probably be called "also sold as" names.

My first interest is Asian Brassica greens, and I don't speak or read any Asian language. Even botanists have disagreed about Brassica species names (years ago), and more recently group names like Chinesis , Pekinensis , Narinosa , Komatsuna , Parachinensis , Purpuraria and Nipposinica. Then they got crabby and said "heck, just call them all B. rapa!" That's no help.

Anyway, now I go with the flow when someone wants to use ten different names for then same thing. That's better than having only ONE name for ten DIFFERENT things!

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

The Brauner Trotzkopf is a heirloom lettuce (butterhead type). Usually this type is green, but this one has some brown in the leaves.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I agree. I'm wondering how German-speakers understand the name.

brown something-head

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I tried a translator, but the word can't be translated well.
In German Trotzkopf means : someone who doesn't want to change his mind.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks. Maybe "brown stubborn-head" is the best I can do in English.

(They probably mean "slow-bolting")

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Why Rick? Sounds nasty!! =(

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

And it was bred from the gloriously-named French heirloom 'Merveille des Quatres Seasons'.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Possibly there is a cultural association in German which is untranslatable.... like 'Braveheart' in English.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Maybe 'trotz' in that contrext means 'firm' or 'tight'.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Possibly there is a cultural association in German which is untranslatable... like 'Braveheart' in English.

That's what I was guessing. They "just know" what the connotation is.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It's "defiant" or "contrary." Perhaps as benign as "Mary, Mary, quite contrary. How does your garden grow?"

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

"brown defiant-head"
"brown contrary-head"

Thanks, Mary!

Deventer, Netherlands(Zone 8a)

Trotz means proud - so besides being stubborn or contray - why not proud?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

That sounds more like a positive, marketeering name!

"Brown Proud-Head"

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

There's a lot in its name...We have a Dutch word called 'trotseren' ( in German 'trotzen'). The German word 'trotzen' and the Dutch word 'trotseren' both mean 'to withstand', to hold up or even stand up against...persons...forces like danger/cold/heat...as a salad growing outside there's a lot to withstand..LOL...you have to be a strong brave salad to do so...I think 'Trotzkopf' is not meant negative at all. BTW, the Dutch word for proud is 'trots', but the German word for proud is 'Stolz',

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks very much, saya and narmaj!

That really is a rich name.

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

You 're welcome Rick! My son has autism and has difficulties to understand such words..oh oh..'braveheart' that's a tough one for him (and me) also..I have to think a lot about words too LOL

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thaks again.

P.S. My DG membership is lapsing, and I'm reducing the number of garden websites I follow, so I probably won't be posting in the future.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.