Black Eyed Susan Vine question

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

I have never grown BES vine before and this year I started some from seeds. I understand it climbs and twines (mine are working their way up a trellis) but how does flowering begin? Does it flower from the bottom up, or does it start setting flower buds all along the vine as it climbs? Thanks

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Not much help on the questions, but I have seen it growing at the local nursery and I really liked it. Show pics once it gets to blooming please.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

if I remember correctly, it vines all the way up

Vieques, PR

Feed them well in well-aerated soil for max blooms. They're unambitious vertically, but you can help them along successfully.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Yay! Got my first bloom today on my black eyed susan vine. It's the first time I've ever grown it. The plant is full of buds, and if the weather cooperates, it should bloom right into October. :>)

Thumbnail by PAgirl60 Thumbnail by PAgirl60 Thumbnail by PAgirl60
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I love this plant, I have never seen this in Red. Do you have any seed to trade or SASE??

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Willow Wasp,

This black eyed susan plant is a combo of burnt red, rose, pink, and salmon flowers. This variety is called SPANISH EYES. It's an annual through BURPEE. I bought the seeds at Lowes. Look for it in the annuals seeds under THUNBERGIA. I started these seeds again this year. It's pretty and a great bloomer!

Jane :-)

Thumbnail by PAgirl60
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks for the info Jane, I am going to Lowes this evening and I'll check while I'm there. I know they have the Yellow one but have never seen the red. But I didn't know to look. I'll let you know of my quest. Thanks again.
Dee

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

I grew 'Arizona Dark Red' from Select Seeds last season. I've grown several, but this is the reddest I've had. It is sold as a plant.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/207962/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.