Earwigs in lilies

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Is anyone else seeing this? On several occasions recently, my Silver Sunburst lilies have been the homes to earwigs. When I look into the lily flower, there will be as many as five or six of them snuggled inside. I get rid of them by simply tapping the flowers - they fall out.

This is the odd thing - there is absolutely no damage. I have seen them there first thing in the morning, and I see them about an hour before sunset. My impression is that they are spending the night. Since there is no damage I don't do anything to get rid of them, but I'm wondering - is anyone else seeing this?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

They like to reside in moist places.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

We don't have them but I thought they were supposed to do a lot of damage to plants.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

With the shifting climate, one year I will see a lot of one kind of bug, and the next year it is completely different. With the dtought we had, there are almost no Japanese beetles. The first one appeared one month later than last year, and so far I have seen a total of fewer than ten. I've gotta tell you, I love that.

But we are having an explosion of earwigs. I have to be careful when I cut my lettuce and bring it into the house, but I am seeing very little damage. And something was chomping my nepeta - that's new. But except for sort of grossing me out by snuggling in bunches in my lilies, they have done no damage there.

Cathy, we have had a TON of rain - a complete reversal from last year's severe drought. We actually made up the deficiency from last year a couple of months ago and things are very lush and green here - nice!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Congrats Donna. You all certainly deserve a break in the rain department.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.