Purslane (Verdolagas)

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Ignorant me - a common weed came up really thick in my vegetable garden this year. I've known this weed all my life but I didn't know its name, so I asked on the Plant Identification Forum here at DG. I found that it's Purslane, and that it's highly edible. With further reading I found more information and some good Purslane recipes.

As I clear my garden weeds, we've tried raw Purslane added to a salad and on ham-and-Swiss sandwiches. I like the flavor and crispy texture - it's like watercress without the bitterness. We had a Mexican supper tonight - chorizo con huevos y papas with corn tortillas. I read that Purslane is very popular in Mexico, where it's called Verdolagas. Using parts of several recipes I found, I made this side dish, and my wife and I thought it was great.

You may have known about Purslane all along, but though I've been pulling it for years, I didn't - and we're really enjoying the new knowledge. Hey, the stuff even crowds out crabgrass in my garden paths!

VERDOLAGAS SENCILLAS (simple Purslane)

2 Pounds Purslane Greens including tender stems, chopped to about 1" size
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Cup Ripe Sweet Peppers, seeded and diced
1 Small diced Onion
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped fine
Salt & Pepper

Saute the diced sweet Peppers and Onion and chopped Garlic in a frying pan in Olive Oil until they're soft and the onions are transparent. Add the chopped Purslane greens, salt and pepper, and sauté for about 10 more minutes until the greens are soft and their volume is much less than when raw. Serve as a side dish with green tomatillo salsa verde added to taste.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2013 11:31 PM

Thumbnail by Ozark
This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!