How long does it take for Iris seeds to develop?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I have what looks to be seed pods. Pic 1 is the seed pods. Pic 2 is of the Iris that has the seeds. I have never had seed develop on my Iris before and would like to try to sow the seeds. Can anybody help out on when they will be ready? Any information on best ways to sow Iris seed would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank You very much in advance for your help.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
South Hamilton, MA

When an iris pod is ready to harvest It will turn brown at the top & start to split open. We then dry them on small paper plated & in Oct sow them in small pots outside. They need cold to germinate. the pots are put in a trench to protect from bird & animals. Plant less than a half inch deep in potting soil. Some people do a lot of soaking & other greenhouse work, but that is too much work for us. Perhaps other people can give you that type of information. For us germination is in May.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

IrisMA, Thank You so much for your help. I don't have a greenhouse, so your method is perfect for me. Thanks again! Have a Blessed day!

South Hamilton, MA

From Hamilton MA to Hamilton OH -- good luck.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks! That is so funny, didn't notice your in South Hamilton. Happy Gardening! Have a Blessed Day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.