japanese painted fern?

Center, TX

I have a Japanese painted fern in zone 8. Can I plant this outside as it is perennial. Please give any suggestions you have. Thanks, alday

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes you can grow a Japanese painted fern in Z8. Give it some shade from hot afternoon sun. Moisture retaining soil will help. It does well in Middle TN and in GA. Here is a 3 year old plant in Middle TN for example.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I am in zone 8b and mine has been outside for two years now,its not doing all that well, but I
don't know why. I have several types of ferns, all planted outside. The Boston ferns need to be protected during the winter, the Macho fern I have barely survived the winter, but it was unprotected. Next year I will take better care of them both. The Christmas fern stayed green and beautiful all year, and I was able to get several new plants from it. My Autumn fern did great over the winter it was also left outdoors. This year I planted some Tennessee Ostrich ferns ,some cinnamon and a few more types I don't know the names of, I'll see this year how they do outdoors.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I went back out and took some pictures, I would say looking at my poor Japanese Fern it is probably in too much moisture, I may try and move part of it and see how that does. It is in a very shady location, so it might need a little more sun also.

Thumbnail by Seedfork Thumbnail by Seedfork Thumbnail by Seedfork Thumbnail by Seedfork Thumbnail by Seedfork
Center, TX

Thanks everyone. your responce is appreciated. I will plant mine outside and see what happens. Alday

Dallas, TX

I don't know where Center, TX is, but Japanese painted fern is definitely a hardy perennial in Dallas. Shade in afternoon. Mulch helps.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Unless the soil is constantly wet..maybe want to check to see if anything has dug under it. My voles (at the former house) used to visit lots of plants. I did have it in dry area, and had to make certain that it got extra water in these last season of drought/rain/drought...
I am in Zone 5a...I never mulched them for winter..snow always did it for me.
Good luck.
Marcia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.