Ponds 2013 III

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

New thread for 2013 Ponds! The old one was getting pretty long....

Thumbnail by MerryMary

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1309195/

Came from here....

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Hi there. Following right along. My pond is nice and clear and has little algae. I got three little koi and two shebunkin at Walmart. Longest is about 5-6". But they are happy and active so I'm okay with that. The goldfish that has the growth on his head has somehow ruptured it and is as hardy as ever. He has lasted four years in the pond. One of the other goldies that has survived (there are four) now has the same sort of thing on his side. I wonder if I put PP in the pond in the same measurement I did in the spring if it would cure them. I didn't know that there were live fish in there when I did it but it didn't kill them so must have been too light a dose. I am simply not up to trying to catch fish again. So any treatment that can go into the pond to treat them all??

It will treat them all IF there is disease in the water. You may just have some fish that have a disease personally, and not an unhealthy water. Remember, the PP will kill everything, including your good bacteria that is keeping your water clear and healthy. I'd add some salt and see if he can clear on his own, without killing off the biological balance of your water.

Okay. Any suggestions on ratio. I have about 2800 gallons of water.

If you get the water softener salt in the large blue bags (no additives) it's cheap...maybe in the $4.00-5.00 range. I'd use a quarter of a bag.
If you can ever get a picture of your fish, I'd like to see what you're talking about. It's not a waxy lumpy growth is it?

Yeah. Kind of. Like a mole gone bad on Knothead. Haven't see a clear one on the other fish yet. It is pinkish. Knothead survived for years with his so I don't know that they are fatal.

Look up carp pox, and see if it looks anything like that. It shows up when cold water begins to warm, then once it gets summer warm, it goes dormant again. Does it look anything like that?

It could be. Would your solution remain the same if it was pox?

Yes, I'd still add salt. You can't actually get rid of pox, it's viral, but usually doesn't kill your fish, just looks ugly. It will go dormant with certain water temps, then appear again, then go dormant, etc. Usually they tell you to eliminate that fish (aka rose bush fertilizer) but if you're not a breeder, nor planning on selling or sharing any of your fish with anyone else, he's fine to live in your pond.
Because I haven't seen a picture, I'm not even sure if that's what it is.

I suspect you are right. Knothead has survived all this time.Would the PP kill the viras. Hmm. But would kill the fish too. lol. Not too good an idea. As soon as I am up and about I will get the salt. Thanks once again.

PP won't kill the virus. It's an internal DNA type virus. As long as he's fine with a knot on his head, and you aren't sharing fish, it will stay only in your pond. :)

okay. So how is the virus introduced. By adding plants, fishj from Walmart. Of if they become stressed?

From what I've read, many fish carry the virus but never ever develop the condition. It's just sort of like shingles, where many carry the human virus, but most never actually get shingles. It didn't come in with plants. Stress or poor water conditions can make it appear on your fish, but it usually shows up in the spring/early summer, when your water temps change and warm up for the summer. Then after the temps stabalize, it can go dormant again. Again, I'm not saying your fish has pox. Could be something totally different, that's why I'd love to see a picture.

http://www.bonniesplants.com/carp_pox.htm Does it look anything like this?

I will try. I know I cannot catch him but he comes quite close to the sidewalls if he thiniks I am going to feed him.

http://koionline.forumotion.com/t2233-growth-on-koi-nose

Also take a look at the pictures on this link. It's other skin issues on koi.

Athens, PA

Mary -

I have koi pox in my pond - if it is koi pox, it will come and go each season after start up. I do know where the koi came from, but what is one to do. In any event, my point is if it is the pox, your fish will either exhibit it and if they do not exhibit the pox, then they are carriers.

Bonnie - how are your eyes?

Thanks Carolyn. I don't intend to worry myself over it. They appear healthy and active regardless.

And that takes me back to my first point....if you arent' trading them, giving them to others, or selling them...just keeping them in your own pond for your own pleasure, you may as well sit back and enjoy them.
Many have koi pox, it comes and goes with water temps, just like has already been said. So if your fish aren't suffering, and the "whatever" isn't spreading rampant across the pond, I wouldn't overly worry about it either. :)

Thanks Merry. That is the conclusion I reached. The water is crystal clear, very little algae and the fish are busy spawning and chasing the females. We saw about 6 baby fish. Tiny tiny. Only one has ever matured to being a little 2" fish but he must have died over the last winter because I didn't see him this spring. He was a gold fish for sure.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Oberon,
Glad you shared this one with us all. Never heard of such. Won't worry about it unless it happens.
Right now all fish in both ponds seem healthy and happy.

Carolyn,
Right eye has done much better than left one but they both are progressing. Apmt on 25th should get me an RX for new glasses and then I'll see better I'm sure. Colors seem brighter now and sun seems to strain them so I will wear sun glasses for the rest of my days. Never did wear them and that was stupid. I see better without them but I'll get used to them.

One great thing happened lately. One of my big gold ones Blondie has started letting me pet her during feeding time. She is 5 yrs. old and is now turning white. Still pretty.

Looking forward to a visit from Merry Mary. Gardens are really in need of weeding but they will just have to grow for a while. The heat here is oppressive. Gardens look like a jungle and are very happy with these daily little showers we have been getting.

Happy ponding to all.
Bonnie

Bonnie, I'm so happy you're doing much better! I agree, this heat is not allowing me to get much done! Because I work outside too, by the time I get home, I'm drained and not eager to get out to the yard. I'm still working on hand digging the new pond, which is a slooooow process. Right now I'm looking for flagstone or rock, for cheap. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll run into a good deal?

Athens, PA

Bonnie

sounds like you are progressing well. I am glad - I try to wear my sunglasses most of the time when I am out or driving. Truth be told. I don't wear them when I garden. Perhaps I should rethink that one!

Glad MM is stopping over to see you. She can keep an 'eye' on you. Sorry - I had to say that..... ^_^

Carolyn....I loved it anywhooo!! :)
Bonnie is unaware that I'm going to dump several fish in her pond when I stop by. I better do it while her eyes are still fuzzy so she doesn't catch me! ;)

Athens, PA

I am sure she will be thrilled!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thrilled is an understatement. I can see quite well now and wait until I get new glasses. Eyes of an eagle. I learned I can drive better now without glasses. Just will need them for reading. They possibly can change over time he said and might not need glasses at all. Woohoo
Its ok I'm just thankful I can use both eyes. I'm sure I wouldn't miss seeing fish coming. My son Jeff is as nutty as me. He gets so excited over new fish he's funny. His wife says she's sick of listening about fish so I told her would you prefer it was a 2 legged blonde or one with fins. His oldest son is 15 and so gentle with handling fish. Both boys are volunteering at their churches day camp I can't ask for any help right now. I'd rather they did that but I'll catch up with the weeds one day. I pruned so much yesterday I filled up our PU over the top. Glad we are near a landfill cause my garbage men are good about taking it but this is a load. Sometimes I have 8 garbage cans out there full of yard waste and they never ocmplain just take it.
OK thats it for tonight. Time for eye drops and a bit of TV.
Take care all, Bonnie

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Bonnie, my garbage men do the same thing but I talk to them and give them a Christmas bonus. They even bring my cans back up near the garage area for me.

So glad you can see well. I have a problem with small print but anything I read I can usually get on my laptop and I just make the print larger. My eye doctor told me that and I told him I had been doing it for years.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Good news Bonnie, so glad you can see well enough to drive without glasses. Been so unbearably hot here I haven't even been over to the pond in three days. Can't take this near 100 temperatures.

Athens, PA

Bonnie - so glad you can see to drive without glasses. Truth be told I envy you that. I had to start wearing glasses about 10 years ago. I don't like wearing them, but do enjoy wearing sunglasses. Something wrong with that, isn't there?

Mittsy - we have been that hot too. What gets me is that it really is too hot to be outside and I wait all winter so I can be outside with my pond and gardens.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am used to 100+ degree weather but we usually have less than 5% humidity. Today we were 106 and 40+ humidity. I was gardening, I move with the shade, and my perspiration kept falling onto my glasses. Not a normal problem here.

I can't imagine functioning in that kind of weather. Shade or no shade. By the way, do any of you find worms in your falls coming down from the biowells. This is the second year I have noticed them. They cling to the rocks by the zillions. Damien blew them loose so they went into the pond so I assume the fish would eat them. Should I be adding something to the pond to get rid of them. Will they hurt my fish? They are very small. Maybe 1.5" and the size of a number 5 lead in a mechanical pencil.

If they're reddish in color, they are perfectly normal, and the sign of a healthy pond. They are the larvae of a small harmless fly and eat a lot of pond gunk.
If they're normal earth worm babies, again, they're healthy for your pond.

That's kind of what I figured as I have seen them in prior years. Just wanted to be sure though. Thanks Mary.

Mary

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Cleaned all filters today. Little red blood worms still in old pond filter but not in larger pond.
Hope the heat cools down up north for all of you.
I haven't breen outside working so much lately. Just a little after the sun goes down.
Every day little showers are really makaing the weeds grow but they will wait for me I'm sure.
Been waiting for years for Mary Poppins to show up and do my house work but she hasn't shown up yet. It can wait too.
Weather has really been wacky up north but heat is normal for us this time of year. I like fall better.
Bonnie

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Bonnie, My DH thinks the good fairy shows up every day and does his laundry, makes our bed, makes his breakfast and put supplies in the pantry and the fridge. And then that fairy walks the dogs... I do the fairy dance across the great room a couple time a day. When I die I want to come back as my DH, or my Koi.

Athens, PA

Quote from WormsLovSharon :
Bonnie, My DH thinks the good fairy shows up every day and does his laundry, makes our bed, makes his breakfast and put supplies in the pantry and the fridge. And then that fairy walks the dogs... I do the fairy dance across the great room a couple time a day. When I die I want to come back as my DH, or my Koi.

I am going to haunt when I come back. I look forward to the opportunity!

You guys crack me up. I am not supposed to bend for three or four months. Yeah, right. Get real. Try going through a day not bending. Damien is doing the laundry, taking care of the lawn and pond, watering my flowers and groused at me when he saw me bend down to open a bottom drawer in the kitchen to get some bread. I guess he is a keeper. And with the hours he works..... wow. Now when I am up to par, the houseboy disappears except for the pond filters and mowing the lawn. But that is okay. I wonder if I put a board on my back down to my hips and strapped it on then it would let me know what I could do and what I couldn't. Probably not much. Poor choice on timing on my part. Oh, I got my first yellow water lily in several years. When Damien gets my new computer up and running I have bunches of pictures to post.

Athens, PA

Mary - what did you do? You cannot bend and I have a broken foot. We make a good pair, don't we?

Can't wait to see your pics.

Well, I obviously missed something. Your BROKE your foot!!! Who was it last year that was jumping on cardboard boxes to crush them for the recycler and hurt herself. Wasn't you I don't think. How in the world do you function with a broken foot? And how in the heck did you do that. If everyone but me knows you could dmail me. Then I can tell you about my little adventure. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.