Would you say this daylily is striped????

Pittsburgh, PA

This flower has ridges where the stripes are.

Thumbnail by obliqua
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm, it kind of looks like it to me.

Saratoga, CA(Zone 9b)

What time of the day, and at what temperature, did you take that picture? Because to me, it looks like many of my red or burgundy daylilies do, on the afternoon of a hot day, when the surface pigment has melted and slicked.

If that's NOT the case, if this is what it looks like first thing in the morning, at moderate temperatures....well....maybe it's something new. (Daylilies are constantly surprising us, aren't they?) Depending on how other people view it, congrats might be in order.

(But unfortunately it is still reminiscent (to me) of melting reds.)

Warners, NY

I have a seedling similar to this that is, has been, coming back the same year after year. I thought maybe it had a virus---------------don't know what to do with it. Buds so far this year look pure green but it is still small. I'm waiting for what it is going to do this year.-------------------------------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy
North Olmsted, OH

If the flower has ridges that is referred to as pleating.

Warners, NY

Thought I had another photo---turned up on photobucket of all places---------------may be clearer?

Thumbnail by weedyseedy
North Olmsted, OH

It looks like it is pleated and streaked. I've haven't heard of a description as stripes, but who knows, maybe that's out there too!

If you google streaking you will probably come up with lots of references to leaf streak, which is a disease. I am not referring to that.

This message was edited Jul 17, 2013 3:57 PM

Saratoga, CA(Zone 9b)

...second photo looks a bit more attractive...

Warners, NY

Truth to tell, I don't think it's very pretty, but I keep watching it to see what it's going to do. I tried raising seeds from it and it was not very cooperative, pods shriveled. I wondered if the striping would look better in another bloom or seedling, but I'm a bit not willing to work on a characteristic like that-often you can't "fix" something like that unless you are an expert which I ain't-------------------------------------Weedy

Saratoga, CA(Zone 9b)

Ah, weedy, I got confused.... that second picture of yours, I thought was OP's second picture...

Warners, NY

Well, the dumb plant bloomed again and it looks like it will always have markings that I don't know what to call. My question, or whatever, is wether this is a deformity of some kind in just this plant or if it is genetic in some way and can be passed on. This must be it's fifth year or so ,so it looks permanent.---------------------Weedy

Warners, NY

Well, it still has not reverted to a solid color, so I guess it's going to stay striped. I am going to sib it and try to self it to see if I can get another-------------------------this years bloom and it's sib--------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy Thumbnail by weedyseedy
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Weedy, it looks stripey to me. I like it!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It looks stripey to me too, normal stripey not a fluke.

Warners, NY

The last flowers were less striped, but it seems to be a bud builder and it's been blooming over a month now----but this is it's last gasp------------------------------Weedy

Thumbnail by weedyseedy Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

I think it is beautiful!

Linda

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

It will be interesting to see what it looks like next year.

Pittsburgh, PA

Is this flower considered striped???

Thumbnail by obliqua
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That would be considered a pink flower with white midribs. Very pretty.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Yes, pretty. Does it have a name?

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 12:22 AM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Neat!!!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Really nice! I especially like #3 - the color seems very intense. i wonder how many striped children Pink Stripe has...

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Well I looked it up on Tinkers, and it has 2 children, no photo of either, no other parent none, just seedling x pink stripes.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 12:22 AM

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Those are very beautiful blooma, now I want a striped daylily. LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.