Questions About St. John's Wort

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

I discovered this plant growing in a local park, and I was told that it is St. John's Wort. I would like to get some information on growing it and collecting the seeds. Is there someone who has experience with it who could provide some advice?

Thumbnail by Cibarius
Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Here you can read a lot about the Hypericum perfoliatium (St. Hohn's Wort) https://mycotopia.net/forums/botanicals/93221-hypericum-perforatum-st-johns-wort.html
If you scroll down, you can see an almost ripe seedpod. If the dark brown seedpod splits, the seed is ripe.
The seeds need light to germinate, so don't cover the seeds. I don't know in what USDA zone you live, but usually the seeds can be winter sown.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

I looked at this strange website and I noticed the pictures of St. John's Wort. The flowers shown there are not at all like the one I see growing in my location in North American zone 6b. The foilage is shaped differently too. If someone is growing my variety, please join the discussion. See the pictures I have posted. The flower is about 1 1/4 inch in diameter and it looks like a yellow pom pom.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Maybe Hypericum calycinum

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Its a weed most folks don't grow unless under contract to a type of 'organic and natural store' -won't matter about the specific variety, except of course unless you are a pharmacist and are trying to prove one var is better medicinally than another. Then you would have a chemists license and wouldn't need to ask gardeners to contribute to information only on YOUR plant.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning,
I havent been lucky enough to come across the one you are growing Doug mine is
Hypericum perforatum though my bet is the care / propagation is the same or close!! I leave mine to its own schedule I don't help it or interfere really, it comes and goes and duplicates each year. Of course you cant be sure how much of it you will have from year to year that way. I did have an accidental cutting of one of the few branches I have this year and it was just days from full flower, I didnt want to lose it. So, I took a couple of the lowest leaves off and put it in a glass of water in a sunny window and hoped for the best. It is flowering!!

There are several listed in the plant files.
Hypericum hypericoides St. Andrew's cross.
It is in the plant files http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57274/#b
4 pages and several people that grow them and wanting to trade etc!!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Hypericum+perforatum&Search=Search+PlantFiles

Is this one yours?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/313569/

good luck Cibarius

Arejay

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Arejay,
Your last two links are very similar to the blossom of my plant, but the foilage is a bit different. I wonder if variety Gemo is a commercial variety? The plants I have access to have set seed heavily, and I am in the process of picking some of the seed pods. I was hoping to attract some members who could tell me about their experiences collecting Hypericum seeds and germinating them.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning,
I have not grown from seed or seed pods. I have started from cuttings or it seems to be working at least. I have several cuttings now in a partially shaded area for probably four weeks still green and looking like they are doing well. The piece in water is still there no visible roots yet but it still has flowers. If you rub a blossom between your thumb and finger it will turn purple if it is the medicinal St Johns Wort. It also turns Red in any kind of oil or tincture.
I don't think the seeds of St. Johns wort would really be any different than any other seed. Let them dry on the plant then harvest I would think, I would keep them in the fridge for a while or the freezer then plant. Here is mine.

Thumbnail by arejay59 Thumbnail by arejay59 Thumbnail by arejay59

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.