Fox in Compost

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

This is a fox getting a dead rabbit out of the compost pile.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I have to ask. Why was there a dead rabbit in your compost?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I couldn't get a good look at the rabbit so I'm not sure. The fox went straight to the compost pile like it knew it was there, so I am assuming the fox stashed it there earlier. It is probable that it was road kill or fox caught - but I suppose it is possible that a sick or injured rabbit could have burrowed into the compost pile and it was getting ripe enough for the fox to go straight to it.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I didn't know that foxes kept food caches. I learned something new today! Thank you.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, they do store food, only for fairly short periods (as it'd get a bit whiffy if left longer!!)

Resin

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I am just guessing - but I figured that the fox got a rabbit soon after it went out hunting that night, then stashed it and continued hunting. This picture was taken early in the morning, when the fox was on its way home. Last year, their den was in the cul-de-sac of the house behind me - I assume it is still there, because the fox headed that direction.
But they don't hunt over there and nobody ever sees them on that street. The hunt up and down my street - several people have remarked on seeing them several blocks East (I think somebody leaves out cat or dog food in that block).

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

It's good to have free rabbit and rodent control! Foxes, mink, weasels, and coyotes hunt in my garden (I keep my cats indoors or on a leash). Luckily, rabies is rare in this area. Mange and distemper are widespread in the wildlife here though. Does your neighborhood have any concerns about the foxes, pollengarden?

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Called my sister, the vet. She says there are no special concerns with foxes, but they can carry the usual stuff if it is going around: Rabies, distemper, and internal parasites. We had not had any problems with Rabies here in decades except in migratory bats - but this year it has moved to some skunks and raccoons. I am far enough from the river that I haven't had skunks or raccoons in my neighborhood. Every few years we get plague in Prairie dogs - that has gotten closer, but not quite to my neighborhood. We have had tularemia in rabbits a few years ago, but again, it didn't quite reach my neighborhood. Supposedly we had West Nile in birds, and Magpie numbers do seem to be down from when I was a kid - but never any unexplained dead birds around here. And I guess there is something that deer can carry - I forget what - but there haven't been any reported cases in this part of the state.
So basically, the rule for dogs and kids are look but don't touch (and remember fleas can jump).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.