Best Fertilizer???

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

What is the best fertilizer for hydrangeas? When is the best time to fertilize? If you have re-bloomers, should you fertilize more frequently?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I don't use any fertilizers for any of my 100+ hydrangeas. They are all planted in good soil with compost and I haven't had any problems.

I'm sure Luis will spot this thread and reply to help you.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello, sbounds2 and pirl. A newly planted shrub will not need fertilizers until Spring 2014 if the potting mix comes with those round fertilizer pellets. In the Spring, you can add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of compost, composted manure, cottonseed meal. During the rest of the growing season, you can sprinkle coffee grounds or use liquid fish or liquid seaweed. If you have Osmocote, you can use Osmocote 10-10-10 as well. That is it for the whole year. These are not heavy feeders like roses so enjoy.

Discontinue fertilizing (all types) by the end of June so the plant will go dormant on schedule and not try to stay in 'growth mode' at the time that it should be going dormant. Amend the soil on a regular schedule if you need to tweak the soil pH (I am referring to adding amendments that acidify the soil, for example).

If the plant is in a pot, you will need to fertilize/amend more often because the more frequent watering of potted plants will leech out the fertilizer minerals.

Luis

Thanks, Luis. I just knew you'd show up to help SBounds2.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi Arlene. Glad to help. Y'all have a happy 4th in OK and NY. It is quiet in the hood even though there are almost 10 cars parked by my house. I expected to hear the sound of a jillion people in pools but nothing. Oh well. I am not complaining! Ha!

Hope your 4th remained blissful. We have a few fireworks going off locally but our dog doesn't mind at all. No pool parties around here though there are a few pools in the area.

Spent five days in Maine recently and I did enjoy wearing a jacket and we enjoyed the rain. It was such a nice departure from the heat and humidity, which is back in full force here.

Many viburnums filled the hillsides and valleys on our trip in Maine and they were so beautiful. They do have that very creamy light green look to them so they could easily be what OutlawHeart wanted on the other hydrangea thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.