What Foe is This?

Putney, VT

Help!!! This (and a few of its friends and family) are decimating my lilies. I normally have gorgeous flowers, but this thing is terribly destructive.

Thumbnail by persimmon1256 Thumbnail by persimmon1256 Thumbnail by persimmon1256
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I have never seen it like that, but it looks like the red lily beetle with its egg sack and tarry excrement that it leaves on the underside of the leaves. Plague with it for the last four years, this year I finally got a handle on it with spinosad. I finally learned to spray it on the soil before the little buggers hatch as well as on the plants. I use Captain Jack's Deadbug, with a hand power sprayer. A little annoying to dilute the concentrate, but it has given us back our lilies. The spray is an organic bacterial concoction that is bad for all types of beetles but not too much else.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_lily_beetle

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The link has good info but is a little outdated because spinosad (in the product I mentioned) is an effective control.

Thanks, trackinsand. I don't suppose this little devil has gotten to Florida yet, but I am certain it will. It has been destroying lilies in New England for too long.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i agree. i use spinosad and it works on beetles and more importantly for me, weevils!

Putney, VT

THANK YOU!! I don't know if I'll be able to get them back this year, but will try...if not- I know what to do next year. I have never had anything eat them before!

This is what they looked like last year...

This message was edited Jul 6, 2013 6:04 PM

Thumbnail by persimmon1256
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.