creeping charlie- aggressive

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh boy.
Years of tolerating it in a certain location ( gee this isn't so bad and kinda cute) have led to this year it being all thru the grass for an area all over five feet outside its former happy home!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'v been fighting c c for YEARS short of digging up the whole yard I don't know how to get rid of it so I pull pull all summer long :0(

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Good link on controlling Creeping Charlie: http://turf.msu.edu/ground-ivy-control-for-home-lawns

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

good info! thanks

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I had the same problem and was pulling them, but I came up with an inexpensive longer term solution.

I started pulling out creeping charlies and replacing it with a geranium that is not invasive but replicates itself well - Bevans variety. It's leaves grow together and create enough shade such that the cc can't grow.

In the first pic, see the little geranium to the right? That's on May 11.

2nd pic is on June 12

3rd pic: July 2

4th pic: July 7

As you can see, the growth is quick. I started transplanting them (just pull them up, separate the underground stems and replant) and started moving them to both sun and shade areas around the yard. It's working beautifully for me and it might be a great long term solution to the creeping charlie problem. I have thousands of creeping charlie plants around the yard, but the geraniums block the sun and the places from which I removed them are clear of them.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2013 6:38 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.