Midnight Marvel?

(Zone 4b)

On-line descriptions show this as the latest and greatest hibiscus shrub.

I am hoping to hear from DG members of their experience with MM as I think it was available in....2012?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It's not too shabby. I got one last year at HD.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the reply. I assume you have it in..."full sun"?

Not full sun but it does get several hours a day.

Belton, TX

I have mine in pm sun...and it is now 3 years old...wonderful, wonderful blooms and some of the reddest I have ever seen...even when it is not blooming, the foliage is beautiful!...still is a small shrub and sometimes the blooms are as large as the shrub is!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I got mine from HD last year. It's doing better than last year, (which makes sense). The bloom is quite spectacular. I have it in afternoon sun.
Barb

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Love that shade of red!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I completely agree wheresthebeach. It's very intense!
Barb

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I don't grow it but like rouge, I had lusted after it big time. What has kept me from getting a plant is the fact that my other hardy hibbies are such ugly plants. I have Blue Nile II, a gigantic, beautiful white flower, but the branches fall to the ground--it is not really a shrub. How does MM behave in that respect?

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

For me, it's growing upright in afternoon sun.
Vossner, I looked up your white hibiscus. How beautiful! Would you happen to have any seeds to trade?
Barb

I'll Ck but it might b a bit early. It just started bloom. I'll gladly share

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

I have several different hardies that have been in bloom for the last 4 weeks. Have been trying to get seeds but it's been so hot here 100+ almost 30 days worth. All the blooms seem just to fall off, any hints on how to keep them on the plant till they form and dry? Thanks

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Cool! I agree it's early for seedpods.
Txtea, I don't know of anything other than cooler temps to have seeds form. Those temps are pretty high!
Barb

Others are blooming now but Midnight Marvel is just in the bud stage.

Here are some from today (don't remember the names though)

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks You Beach_Barbie

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Of all my Hibiscus, white, wine pink and yellow, I love the Midnight Marvel best.
Planted it last year and it was a beauty is a short time. It is much larger this year, at least 5' tall with more blooms than anything I have. Of all my outside plants, none is as pretty as this red marvel.

Thumbnail by dahtzu Thumbnail by dahtzu Thumbnail by dahtzu Thumbnail by dahtzu Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu, absolutely outstanding! pls, pls post in the plant files.

do you trim it to encourage fullness or does it naturally grow that way? do you cover in winter? what are you feeding that baby????

Just WOW! I am curious as to what your planting methods are. What do you use to plant your newbies into the garden?

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

I must say outstanding! Please give us your tips.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL, my tips, gosh thank you for the compliments. All I did was dig a big hole, add Miracle Grow Garden Soil, water in, add more soil and let grow. I cut the dead stalks down in late April or early May. In early spring when I saw the new growth, I sprinkled Miracle Grow pellets around it. Have done nothing since.

Blue or Yellow bag of miracle grow?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

If when the hardy hibiscus shoot up the first stems, pinch off the tip of the stems. That will force it to multi-branch and many more blooms.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Correction on the garden soil. I used Sta Green Garden soil. It fertilizes for 9 mos.

That makes so much sense regarding the soil. I havent been having very good luck with the miracle grow for the last few years.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Yesterday!

Thumbnail by dahtzu Thumbnail by dahtzu
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Beautiful

Kenner, LA

very nice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.