July blooms

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Coming from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1320364/

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

It has been hard to get out in the garden because of the rain and skeeters.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I just posted my latest blooms on the end of the June Thread.....Dah!

Jill--
This is just for YOU! Since you love it so much....
My "Endless Summer Hydrangea"...G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Lovely, Hydrangea, Gita. I've had one tucked away in the front of the house for years and for some reason it hasn't done anything until this year!!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I was looking for more information on Hydrangea "Bavaria" which was a mothers day present last year. It isn't going to bloom this year, I don't think. In my query I came across this pinterest board of hydrangeas
http://pinterest.com/heavenhydrangea/unusual-hydrangeas/

If anybody has any experience with Bavaria let me know, it's a bicolor
http://www.bakker.co.uk/product/bicolour-hydrangea-bavaria-/

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

ROSES---

As you can see--this hydrangea is in a pretty tight spot. on the corner of this bed
and where the walkway turns to get to my Patio. The August Lilies Hosta adds to
the tightness of this corner.
After the blooming--it will start to grow a lot of new, longer stems.
I will be trimming some of these off as well and, maybe, rooting them in pots.

Because of this--I prune it back pretty low in early spring, looking to cut just above fat leaf buds.
It regrows and blooms every year. Not affected at all by the pruning.

it gets full AM sun until almost 3PM. Then the sun moves over to the other side...

Perhaps this info will help you? Gita

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Wow, Paul! That interest page was beautiful!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I did not know that the Endless Summer had a Lacecap version!
SO pretty...

Endless Summer Hydrangea "Twistnshout" Lacecap. In Paul's 1st link--half way down.
G.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, I saw some Endless Summer hydrangeas at Lowes just a couple of weeks ago. Some of them had lacecap flowers. They might be still available.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info, Gita.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

donner---

I just said I liked it........You know--I have NO space available for another shrub...

How are things with you? Long time no see......G.

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Some wildflowers that were sown this spring around my work. Sorry I can't identify any of them. Maybe you can?
1. Perhaps Prairie Coreopsis.
2. A super tall flower that blooms in spikes from the top down. What is this thing? The hummingbirds love it.
3. Mix of rudbeckias and guillardias?
4. A poppy growing in the crack of the sidewalk. It's a rather ugly Barbie pink, if I may say so.... Doesn't match the wildflowers nearby at all.
5. Cosmos! They are very small, like coreopsis b/c someone planted them too densely. The effect is very cute though.

Thumbnail by typwc Thumbnail by typwc Thumbnail by typwc Thumbnail by typwc Thumbnail by typwc
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I particularly like the mix of rudbeckias and guillardias.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Those are beautiful pictures.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Paul, thanks for that link those pics of the Hydrangea were beautiful.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are a few from my yard.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I was drooling over those hydrangea pictures, but I told myself I have so many already. Then I counted and realized I actually have **12** hydrangeas. That is a crazy number! EEK! I'm not going to have room for anything else in my 1/6 acre lot once they're all fully grown.

Only one Oakleaf is blooming right now, though. The others are either summer bloomers that are just budding out, or they're too young.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Hydrangeas and day lilies...noid

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp Thumbnail by UMD_Terp Thumbnail by UMD_Terp Thumbnail by UMD_Terp
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul--
Your first picture looks like my neighbor's Hydrangea--the little one I gave you.

The red Lily is what is blooming all over right now in my garden. I have TOO many!!
Looked for the name--but could not find it.

The Lily in picture #4 looks just like one I have. I call it "Lily by the Stump".
It is a clump behind my Bird bath. There is a stump there... I think it is pretty..have no idea of name.
I did not plant it! It just grows there--multiplying every year.
Has buds right now--will take a picture again when they open.

Happy 4th--whatever you will be doing....G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Terp, your picture #3 may be Red Volunteer, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/8321/

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmm. How interesting, thanks for the help. My orange lily foliage looks less like a daylily and more like a ditch lily. It is pretty and is a double or triple. They are just coming out, I'll post better pictures when the dang rain stops.

It has been raining on and off all morning...once again.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am tired of the rain too---still need to plant a bunch of stuff--like what I just bought...
EVERY day! Rain....it.s costing me money.
If I can't garden--I go shopping....;o) Today--it will be Walmart.

Lets see what I have new to show you all.....

1--First blooms on the Dr. It has not yet grown wide yet--so the blooms are
hiding in the foliage....
2--Red DL in the rain. YES! I went out--umbrella in hand to take this.
3--Some off the plants I bought the other day....1--1 free
4--Close-up of the violet (?) Phlox. There was only this one...
5--My "stump Bed"--big pot--getting bigger...

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Some blooms from the neighborhood. #3 was a weed growing on the banks of a stream, I thought it was nice though, albeit fairly large. The leaves were rhododendron like in shape and thickness but a lighter green.

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp Thumbnail by UMD_Terp Thumbnail by UMD_Terp Thumbnail by UMD_Terp
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's Milkweed

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Yea it is, thanks.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul--

Your last picture reminds me of things that have, long ago, grown into
the expanding trunks of my trees.

The smaller Maple, near my shed, had--at one time--a serious sized eye-hook
screwed into the trunk that we hung a hammock from. Never used it all that much.

Over the years--I saw that eye hook slowly disappear into the tree.
I can still point to the spot--as there is a scar in the bark.

My big maple had a 12" shelf bracket screwed into the trunk, from which I hung either a HB
or a bird feeder.
The lower part of the bracket has LONG ago disappeared into the trunk.
The projecting part is still there--but a lot shorter with time.
Now I just hang my Peony Rings on that.

Here's the funniest disappearing act......
The sewer clean out pipe we all have sticking up, somewhere, on our front lawns.
Several years ago--I called the Co. and they came and reamed out this pipe.
They will do it FREE once a year--if you call.
The men bitched at me--as they had to hunt for it.....said it should be above ground...
It had, completely, disappeared beneath my lush lawn.
I pointed to the general area, and they found it by poking around.
When done--they put an extension on it and capped it. Told me to keep it visible...
It is long gone---again!
Talk about a lawn growing thicker and thicker as the years go by.....it just gobbles up these pipes.

Now I need to call them again--and I almost don't dare! It is completely gone once more.
A plumber at the HD told me to cap it with a metal cap next time--so they can find it
with their detectors...

This COULD lead to some deep thoughts about life in general.... HMMMMMMM....
The earth gobbles up everything--in time.......

G.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

DLs are bursting open all over

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Surprise from last year, planter was still under the deck stairs after I put it away because the hurricane
Purslane and rebloom on Forget me Nots
Fulgida Rudbeckia
Rebloom on foxglove

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Nice pics Jen and Gita

Terp, I love the walkway lined w/salvia vista purple!!!

This message was edited Jul 3, 2013 6:53 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul--

Here is the first bloom on my "Lily by the Stump" that you also had a picture of.
Also--the foliage of it..
You said that the foliage of yours resembled Ditch Lilies.

Here is the foliage on mine...does not look like Ditch Lilies to me.....G.

Also--the Pink NOID Brug blooms start out white--but by morning--they are bright pink.

Dr. Seuss blooms--from 2 to 6 in the same day...

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

More--

-Shastas in my YUK bed..

--Shastas in my neighbor's bed--right behind my YUK bed.
I gave him the starts several years ago.

--Some kind of a DL by my shed...No name...

--Dark red DL--from Sallyg.

--Persian Shield, grown from seed, finally coloring up once I planted them.
I almost chucked them--they looked so pathetic....

edited to correct: persian Shield from CUTTINGS--NOT seeds!

This message was edited Jul 4, 2013 10:53 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

frankly I could not tell any daylilies apart by foliage- well except I have one that makes some topsets, spikes with little leaf clusters instead of buds.
Persian shield from seed? Wow!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a few from my morning tour of the gardens.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--my error!

The Persian Shields were from cuttings taken last year--NOT seeds!

I edited the post above to correct it. G.

Sorry to point tht out, just that I never thought I saw flowers much less seeds on that. Of course, leve it ot Gita, if there WERE seeds...
; ^)

Parkville, MD(Zone 7b)

Yesterday right after the rain was a great time for picture taking. The light was just right.
1.Blanket flower 'Moxie'
2. Snapdragon I grew from seed in front of crocosmia x crocosmiiflora (sp) 'Fire King' and Hosta 'Guacamole'.
3. Geranium "Rozanne'

I am not generally a fan of cottage-style or even light pinks in the garden. I prefer HOT combos. But I grew the snaps because my mom said she loved them. I'm so glad I did, they are refreshing and sweet. I have gardening ADD....

In other news, I think there is a free daylily show on Sunday at the Cylburn Arboretum. Did you guys know about that? You all seem to like daylilies a lot....

This message was edited Jul 6, 2013 12:02 PM

Thumbnail by typwc Thumbnail by typwc Thumbnail by typwc
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Mountain Fleece - Persicaria amplexicaulis
'Blushing Susie' Thunbergia
Phlox 'Blue Paradise'
Tall Bellflower - Campanulastrum americanum
Physostegia 'Miss Manners'

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The color on this Trop Hib is just stunning well worth the winter storage in the GH to keep it. Couple of my pots and a new bed in progress.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Wow! nice July blooms
I'm sitting on the deck with laptop, hearing a lot of July BOOMS

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL We are watching the Macy's Fireworks Show on TV to lazy to go up to the city to see their show. We had a great day at Jane's Annual 4th picnic lots of good food a few festive beverages.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.