Transplanting a HUGE hibiscus

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Help--Stopped at a demo sale on Saturday and admired an 8 foot tall weeping Hibiscus. Next thing I knew yesterday morning--it was in my driveway! The men who delivered my rescue potted plants from the tear down--(not really, but whoever bought the property must have a very big ego-beautiful home on the Intracoastal) went back and dug it for me. It's in a 25 gallon pot and in a shady(afternoon spot so we can see if it will back it. I put a bit of thrive on it yesterday and thankfully we have rain and somewhat overcast conditions today. I'm going to cut out some of the under stems--but was hoping for some advice. Yes it truly is eight feet -at least--
Debi

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Wow. Since you posted this on the 1st, I'm assuming it's already in the ground.
It sounds like you were doing things correctly.
How does it look?
Barb

Actually still in the big pot--has lost most of the leaves, but the stems are still very green. All this rain has been lovely for it!
Was away for the last week and my wonderful neighbor watched over it!
Debi

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Nice! Sounds like it'll be fine. Yea!
Barb

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh wow I love fun people and it sounds like you hit the jackpot. I would get her into the ground so she had plenty of time to settle before winter comes. I am sure I'm not the only person who would love to see a picture or two!

I'll take some pics today --it's tied to a palm tree for support and wedged in against the house so don't know how pix will turn out. We've had overcast days with some sun, so that's been a help. I've backed off the watering a bit and the sprinklers hit it this AM, so I'll check things out and get back to this thread later! I am finding that all of the hibiscus are doing well and I will post some of those pix.

Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes Thumbnail by Debijaynes
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, you have quite a collection of beauty going there! More pics!!!!

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

Debijaynes the yellow flower is awesome and beautiful.
On transplanting -- I have a lemon tree about 8 Ft tall and wanting to move it. I have trimmed it down quite a bit. I think a root ball of 30 " should be Ok to pick it up. The soil is very clayish - and should hold well . Thinking of moving it in Feb. '14.

Comments?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.