July's Orchid Jewels

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Since Jim is out cruising I'll get a new thread started. Tried to come up with a catchy title.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1315729/

Here is a pic I took at an Orchid show.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Jean, good job. We're sailing for Estonia after visiting Copenhagen today. Temps have been in the 50s and 60s, overcast and windy. My jacket is my best friend. Internet is sporadic and expensive. Food has been great. I will post again when I can.

Jim

north coast nsw, Australia

I love Paphiopedilums, heres my Insigne open and i have a few in bud that are not open yet.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Glad to hear from you Jim! And love those paphs Jean and Bree!

I think I'm going to lose two more orchids to the fungus but other than that it seems to be finally under control. I've got a few in quarantine that haven't shown any further signs of trouble so that's good. I'll just have to be vigilant and keep up my spraying schedule, although I'm sure I'll cut back a little in the fall when we stop getting all this rain. I was going to fertilize today but everything is still so wet I just want to give them a break for a day, you know? Hopefully, all this rain made my vandas happy, though!

Melanie

Was looking forward to the Orchid Society raffle tonite but the weather is too bad to go out. One way to save $$$.
I got mad at Vanda a couple weeks ago& tossed her out back. She is hanging from a hook, under the eves of the studio. Well, with all this ran, heat, & humidity she is starting to look healthy again. Nice plump roots. Nice green leaves. Now if I can just get her to bloom.

For those who are interested, seems there is a hread out there with all the info on the changes we are seeing: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1323545/

I'm glad I was pointed to it. Would have been nice to know it existed a couple weeks ago!!!!

Sure is lonely w/out Jim's daily pics!!!!!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Really guys, quit whining and get out your cameras! Pictures are what keep these threads alive. Jim's gone for another 2 weeks and Laurel is no doubt enjoying her first grandchild. It's up to you!

Melanie, I sympathize on all the rain, we're getting 'way too much here, too. I have mine covered with a tarp, or under the overhangs except the Vandas seem to be loving it.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I had to throw out two of my orchids yesterday as the black rot had gotten way too advanced and they couldn't be saved. One was only a baby orchid I bought pretty cheap so I didn't feel too bad. The good news is, it doesn't seem to have spread to the other orchids since I had the bad ones in quarantine. I've still got my eye on a couple of them though. I've got a few suspicious spots that may just be regular aging or even damage where I've dropped them or something but now I'm really paranoid about fungus. I sprayed everyone with Physan 20 yesterday; it seems to be helping to use that along with the fungicide.

Melanie

finally got a good photo of Cymbidium One Tree Hill.
Time to water all my orchids and clean my big fish tanks.

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Love that Cymbidium! Lovely colors!

Melanie

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

It's a real beauty, Bree! Melanie, I cut 3 big black spots off leaves this morning, and found another with two beautiful flowers that had been munched by snails!

Have not sprayed any fungicide around yet this summer, but I may have to start soon.

Even pictures of black spots are more interesting than no pictures at all. Enc. Green Hornet blooming away.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

We just got so much rain here so fast it's hard to see how a fungus wouldn't get started. But now our chances for rain are back down to normal (30-40%) so at least I'm getting a day here and there for them to dry out.

Melanie

Not the best pics.............

This Spidery one has been opening over the past couple days. I've had this plant for years. Tag got lost along the way.

The 2 Phals have been blooming for over a month.

one of the Sharry Babies is getting ready to bloom.

Thumbnail by Qwilter Thumbnail by Qwilter
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We are home after being away most of the past two months. Of course the master bath toilet leaked all over the floor with the first flush setting the schedule for the day. Things are rather topsy turvy having left the house in the hands of a twenty-something y.o. house sitter for months. The orchids don't look worse for my absence but could use some loving care. Many are seriously overdue for repotting. Don't know when I'll get back to photos but am enjoying all of yours. Meanwhile, stinky dogs need baths, houseplants need water and house needs attention. The orchids seem happy outdoors due to this year's abundant rain.

Thanks for the birthday wishes and thanks, Quilter, for the new thread. A healthy baby boy joined our family June 27th...the perfect birthday present three days before mine.
Laurel

Congrats Laurel!!!!! And Welcome back......................missed you.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Laurel! Glad you checked in with us. Congratulations on the new addition to your family and good luck getting everything back to "normal"!

Melanie

qwilter- your spidery orchid is a Miltassia, cross between a miltonia and a Brassia. Looks like Shelob tolkien

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm somewhere between Stockholm and Visby. I'm surely getting fat but enjoying all the sights. Congrats, Laurel!

Jim

Thanks - I knew it was a Miltossia, one of the few I can keep alive & re-blooming. Those & Dens make up the happiest members of my collection. Smaller flowers but so many of them.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I think this might be like yours, qwilter. Got it a couple of years ago. Tag reads Bratonia Shelob

Thumbnail by ted5310

I think Bratonia replaces Miltassia in the renaming of orchid names but i still call them Miltassias (miltonia x Brassia) just makes sense. ha! Shelob tolkien is its name.
Paphiopedilum Villosum has just opened its first flower.

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy

Ted - yours is a purple version of mine. I like the spidery look they have.

My Vanda is going to bloom and has green "nodules" forming on many of her roots!!!!! I tossed her out in the yard a month or so back. She is obviously liking all the heat, humidity, & rain.

The others that I tossed out are all still alive. They are all either hanging from or the pots are shoved btwn stubs of cut off fronds of a large palm tree out back. Mixed in with the fern that goes crazy back there. I'm thinking I'm going to put a few more of the sad looking guys out there.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Not much going on here. I did get two shots of Encyclia adenocaula ssp. Guadalupeae, Laelia pacavia in full bloom, and a very bad picture of must have Den. 'Roy Tokunaga' that bloomed in March is just now starting to drop blooms

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL

the Laelia is beautiful Carol.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you! It's one of my favorites, and most reliable, so far.

Paphiopedilum Villosum neally all open.

Thumbnail by breeindy

My new Orchid display
These are the Orchids I "threatened" tossed outside to "bloom or else". Vanda has a bloom starting & the others look better than they have in a long time.
The spikes keep the squirrels away.

A Sharry Baby, that I started from the mother plant, is starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I just got back from my orchid society's annual auction and there is still money left in my bank account! But I did buy some very nice plants and Mom picked up a few as well. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow and post them so everyone can enjoy.

Melanie

I got a message from Laurel & she is terribly overwhelmed by life right now. Just wanted all to know she is alive but not time to do much here. She does pop in for a look.

Perhaps we need some pics for her to enjoy.

Sharry Baby is blooming but her flowers are so small it's hard to get a good pic.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, last night my orchid society held their annual auction which is our big fundraiser for the year. I paid my bills and balanced my checkbook before I went just to make sure I was covered, LOL! Here's what I brought back...

1. (Rlc. Hitsuko Akatsuka 'Volcano Queen' x. C. Chocolate Drop)
2. Picutre of the whole plant of #1. I paid $35 for it and I was going to get it! I figure that's a good price considering what I would pay at an orchid show for a plant that size in bloom. It smells wonderful, too!
3. Rlc. Toshie's Magic 'Doris' (Toshie Aoki x Lc. Tokyo Magic) The bloom is fading on this one but you get the idea.
4. (Lc. Phillip Streeter x Enc. plicata)
5. Same plant as #4 but close up of the bloom

I also bought (not pictured because they're not in bloom):
Cattleya lueddemanniana 'Art Chadwick' x outcross
Lc. Canhamiana fma. coerulea 'Azure Skies' (C. mossiae x. L. purpurata)
Lc. Tanya Duncan 'Seattle Blues' (C. Heathii x Lc. Canhamiana)
C. GOK in basket (the GOK stands for "God Only Knows" because someone lost the tag to the plant, LOL. I paid $16 and figure the basket alone is worth $10. It's about a ten inch basket from the look of it. I didn't measure. The plant is a good size and has a sheath on it so hopefully I'll get a nice surprise out of it!

I bought Tanya Duncan 'Seattle Blues' because I lost one to root rot and it was a plant I really liked. Glad I replaced it, and for only $14!

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Mom surprised me by buying three orchids (which I will end up taking care of, I assure you). Lucky for me, the ones she bought were ones I considered buying, too!

1. (Blc. Haleahi Sunbow 'X0025' x C. deckeri)
2. C. Lulu (Brabantiae x Penny Kuroda)

She also bought Ctna. Maui Maid 'Mini Blanc' x C. Hawaiian Wedding Song. Both of those are white so I'm assuming the flower will be white. It already has a sheath on it!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong

Melanie - you have quite a collection by now.
All are very pretty. I moved more out to the tree garden today. Raining now so they should be happy.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks! I'm thinking of moving my vandas out under the trees so they can get some more light and then keeping them in the shade house when they bloom (so the critters don't eat them). I think they need more light than I'm currently giving them.

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

We are at Heathrow. Should be home around midnight after a plane change in Houston.

Jim

Heathrow to Houston to Tampa...............that is sure "direct"!!!!!!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The Heathrow flight was delayed so we missed the connector to Tampa. Spent the night in Houston and arrived in Tampa at 10:30 this morning. Lots blooming but I lost a Vanda. My big tabebuia tree lost the entire top for some reason. Lots to do in the yard. I promise pics tomorrow.

Jim

Welcome Home Jim!!!!!! Looking forward to you filling up this thread.

My Vanda's buds are getting bigger & bigger. With my luck, she will bloom while I'm away later this week.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm still not quite recovered but I'll post a few just to get back in the swing of things. I thought Laurel would post while I was gone but she must be busy.

I'll start off with Encyclia Lee Ward.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is Brassavola nodosa.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.