your experience with dark-leaved actaeas (aka cimicifuga)

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I love the dark-leaved cimicifugas, but have killed off a few already. Granted, I planted them in fairly shady places, and fairly near tree roots, but they looked fine for a bit and all of a sudden they were gone. I'm trying again in a place with a bit more sun, and not so close to trees, but I'd like to know how others do with them, and what are ideal conditions for them, or are they just very temperamental?

Anyone?

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi, I live in a more rainy and temperate climate than you, so I am not sure how much my info applies to you. My cimicifuga is in a very shady spot and the soil is pretty heavy and retains water. It stays pretty moist because of the shade and the soil. It is extremely happy there, so I am not thinking more sun is the answer. I'm thinking maybe more water. I will check the hardiness level and also how much heat it wants or doesn't want when I get home to see if I can come up with more ideas.

Thank you, momlady. More water is probably the answer then, as we're in the same zone. I think the tree roots must have sapped up all their water, so will definitely plant them farther away. And will try to make sure they have plenty of water.

Wyoming, MN

I have no problem with them. In fact I have a few seedlings which have grown well and blomed the first year I saw them. My soil is sandy and I ammend it with organic matter. They are in various areas and some are quite shady. All do well for me. I am in Minnesota.

Gary

That's great to hear, Gary. Thanks for the info.

Sharon

I looked 'em up - as hostages noted, perfectly hardy where you live. They like shade, can take some sun, and like moist, rich, well- drained soil, such a surprise ;-) I'd just go with making sure they stay well watered. They're worth it. I'll post a pic when mine blooms, if I remember.

Thanks, mom!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

They haven't done very well for me, though I haven't lavished care on them -- probably let them get too dry.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Mine is doing well so far. It gets morning sun, and is at the foot of a stone wall facing east n a crowded bed. It does get irrigation, however.

Thanks, guys. I planted a couple of new ones a few weeks ago, and so far they're doing fine. I do make sure to water them well - especially during nasty hot streaks, and they're getting more sun than the others did, but they're also getting a lot of green in the leaves. Do they only start out dark or "chocolate" and then get green?

My Brunette is quite dark. I'll try to get a good pic tomorrow when I'm back at the garden.

Here's mine. It's so dark it's hard to get a picture.

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady

Wow - that looks great! Do you know the cultivar name?

And here's my Brunette, not as dark.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg

Hi, I usually keep a record but I'm not finding this one. I'll check again later. My memory is that it is Actaea racemosa 'Black Negligee.'

Thanks for the pics. And I may have to try black negligee. Do you have it in a sunny-ish spot?

No, it is quite shady, and it still has the great color. In fact, I feel guilty because I really don't do much for it!!

Please don't feel guilty! Carefree plants are the best kind to have. I wonder if you get a lot of rain.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

In full sun (stupid me) it burned and in shade it died. May have been too dry. It was Black Negligee that I always typed as Black Lingerie!

We do get a lot of rain here, with an extended dry spell in July-August. The soil is pretty heavy where it's planted, so it holds the moisture, too.

You too, pirl? It does seem to be moisture that was lacking for me. I don't have too much sun anywhere on my property. The actaeas will definitely be getting a lot of attention when I water.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, it was behind some big hydrangeas here with a path in between but I guess the irrigation heads can't get every plant all the water they need. The puzzling part was that it was near hosta, which are doing fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.