Weeds or Wildflowers? (Piedmont, NC) Page II

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello friends!

This is a continuation of my stream of consciousness and occasional debate over whether the native plants that flourish in my garden are weeds or wildflowers.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305737/#top

One man's weed is another man's wildflower. :)

Pictured, Pink Fuzzybean (Strophostyles umbellata).

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=stum2

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=STUM2

This message was edited Jun 28, 2013 12:02 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Picked this up on a clearance rack at our Southern States over the winter.

I've always wanted to plant ferns, but what was I thinking? After the power company came last summer and cleared 19 years of growth (!!!) I don't have shade enough to plant ferns.

Especially not 'The King' Ostrich Fern. Plant tag says this variety will grow to 72". Not fair, but right now I have him (the King!) in a pot. I'm thinking he might need to go to a better home.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/159/

A.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2013 12:17 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone have the basil mountain mint? This came from relatives in Stuart, VA, in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

It's scent is incredible and it's the best pollinator plant in the garden. Er, the driveway. There's a 12" trough on one side of the drive with the neighbor's retaining wall behind it. It's just the perfect place for invasive mint, though this is one plant you might allow to take over your garden.

Pycnanthemum clinopodioides

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=pycl

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/6304/

A.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2013 12:19 PM

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

The Mountain Mint you gave me at the VA RU is doing well. Leaves are wonderfully fragrant, possibly why pollinators flock to it?
I put the plants in a pot, dug a hole and planted pot and all. That way it won't be out of control til I set her free.

Your photos at the end at the last thread are inspiring, Manda. Back 40 is looking really nice and colorful.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Fruit - it really is very satisfying to gaze upon it.

Sounds like the right idea with the mint. It will fill the pot(s) very nicely and you can decide what to do with it then. :)

I think you need to update your cottage garden thread! Mine is not really cottage is it? More prairie/meadow remnant, powerline easement.

These thunderstorms wreak havoc on the garden. Glad I got some pictures before this afternoon's storm passed thru.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

What's your avatar now, is that a Rud?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

yeah Suze it's 'Prairie Sun.' Love it! From last year's round robin. Can't remember who put it in. I tried to grow 'Irish Eyes' but they were hard to tell apart in images. My impression is that the Prairie Sun has the orange glowey center, but the Irish Eyes does not.

I know you are looking for rudbeckias.

I'm concerned that the 'Green Wizard ' is not getting enough sun. And/or we've had SOOOO much water. I may have to move it and then I'll be able to divide it for you.

The Prarie Sun is just one plant. Wonder how easy it is to root cuttings of R. 'Prairie Sun?' I'm the worst! I have a couple of Ruds coming up from last year's pots that did not start. Of course the tags have faded so I don't know what they will be - like a box of chocolates!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have Slender Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum tenuifolium) and planted Southern Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum pycanthemoides) a month or so ago. I really like both of them but I am sort of a mint freak anyway. Have my Tennessee Ostrich ferns. I have a big potted Kimberly Queen but it's not a native. Well, it's a native of Australia, I think. ;-D.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

I haven't had any luck with ferns in general.... I have a line of pine trees on the eastern side of my property and that is the only likely place to plant em but for some reason they just don't do well there. Too acidic maybe? Any ideas?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here are some suggestions and ideas. It took me awhile to get the Tennessee Ostrich ferns established in my back shade garden, but once they got going, they continue to spread quite well.

http://www.hardyferns.org/fern-info-culturesheets.php
http://www.ehow.com/info_8391098_plants-under-pine-trees.html

The others will probably have some other ideas.

Can't find a more recent picture. It's here somewhere. :(

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is the bud from the mystery monarda. I am entranced!!!

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

A white solidago, another monarda this one probably 'Jacob Cline', and what may be the prettiest flower of all time, the black scabiosa.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree. I do luv the black scabiosas. I didn't get my scabiosa seeds planted this year. But next year I certainly will, she says hopefully.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

A.

I'm hoping the monarda I received from Fruit will be the Jacob Cline. That color is awesome! Any idea what that pale colored monarda you have is? I don't believe I've seen one that color.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

This is the mystery Monarda, Mike. last year I grew it from seed, but plant tags being what they are got mixed up.

I have been looking at pictures of different species. That bud starting to look like M. bradburiana, but I don't think I had seed for that!

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Do you know if that MM ( mystery Monarda) is coming true from seed or did this one just come back from last year?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't know.

I grew it from seed last year. Would have to look back at my records, though I have no memory of an exceptional extraordinary Monarda.

It did not thrive as a young plant, but I planted it in the ground in the fall anyway.

I think the plant tag said Rudbeckia maxima. Ha ha

I watched it closely overwinter/spring because I wondered if it would come up. And it did! But it's not at all what I expected. Soooo... it is a mystery.

When it blooms (soon) I guess the jig will be up!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Amanda,I don't think your mystery Monarda is 'Jacob Cline', which is a very red red. Looks more like 'Raspberry Wine'.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

You're right! Thanks. I forgot. A friend (FOTV) gave a bunch of smAll plants that were mixed. I have never had either so I am not sure what they should look like. :)

Thumb: while you're here, do you think the mystery monarda is bradburiana?

You posted this pic a while back. The bud looks similar. And there are red leaf margins which i have seen in other photos on DG.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/298499/

I appreciate your thoughts!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2013 10:05 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Amanda, are we talking about the hot pink Monarda seven posts up, or another? The color of M. bradburiana is pale pink/lavender with tiny speckles. In your area M. bradburiana would be past bloom anyway.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

This is the plant. We've been speculating about its identity all month.

Thanks.

A.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's another that stumped the plantsmen. including me.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Happy 4th, Everyone.
Thanks for posting the link about planting under pines. That is an issue for many of us, I think. I've been asked to cut back on my azaleas for the sake of the honeybees so I've been scrambling for a replacement. Azaleas have always been my default plant for acid shade. I will try the blueberries. I've brought pine straw to the blueberries in their sunny location, but have never considered bringing the blueberries to the pines. Hay scented ferns are marginal this far south, but I would like to give those a try under the pines. I've read several places that they are good in dry-ish shade, even under pines. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with hay scented ferns?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're welcome. I've never grown the hay scented fern but after looking at it online, it's very attractive. I hope you have good success with it.

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/ferns/dennstaedtiapunc.html

My 'Top Hat' blueberries are in containers, however I'm considering planting more in the ground since the birds or the resident raccoon often tend to beat me to them. :(

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I fell in love with the hay scented fern when I worked at ' Garden in the Woods' a bunch of years ago. I haven't got enough shade here to try my hand.

http://www.newfs.org/visit/Garden-in-the-Woods/about-the-garden

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

More blooms in between downpours.

Coreopsis 'Full Moon'
Gaillardia 'Burgundy'
Achillea sp.
Conoclinium greggii
Liatris spicata

Maybe tomorrow between showers I will get a look at the mystery monarda. I've read about the monarda clinician, but there is no mention of the red leaf margin.

Carole on the previous thread you'd asked whether the tall fuzzy foliage plant had round or square stems. They are round. No sign of buds and they are starting to lean towards the sun. I may end up staking them if they start to flop.

This message was edited Jul 5, 2013 10:47 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Amanda, I'm not sure which plant we're talking about. The one that's several posts up this thread or?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

This one. Blurry, sorry.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Well the mystery monarda must be M. clinopodia.

http://uswildflowers.com/detail.php?SName=Monarda%20clinopodia

If you think otherwise please let me know. I have NO idea where that seed came from. :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I hope everyone on the east coast is enjoying some sun like me.

Gardening for wildlife has definitely not reaped the typical rewards this year with the cool wet spring and summer. Today we are seeing seeing more pollinators and butterflies, fledgling birds and their parents, of course the small mammals particularly squirrels and bunnies. The mosquitoes are less abundant during the day now that things are drying out a little, but we are also seeing a bumper crop of fleas. Vacuuming twice a day and a combing four cats and 2 dogs.

Below:

Black Swallowtail Caterpillars on dill
Resident Bunny 1/3
Current conditions
Another mystery plant from woodlands o friend in Alabama
Fairie ring of mushrooms on neighbor's front lawn

Looks like DG will mix up the order of my images when they upload.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's a new mystery plant that looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Saw some next door at the vacant lot before they were mowed. The one photoed came up randomly in one of my beds.

Hairy leaves, opposite, purple tubular flower, square stems.

Thoughts?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Today while I was waiting for the thunderstorms to arrive I began pulling weeds in my milkweed bed where I installed about 15 swamp milkweed and some tropical MW in anticipation of the monarch migration this fall (I hope!). I was pleased to discover that the dormant seed bed was producing not only weeds but wildflowers!!

I let the bed go to weed/grass last summer because of work/mosquitoes/heat and see now that failure to weed regularly is what suppressed many of the plants with delicate tiny seeds that failed to volunteer last season. Particular favorites that have reappeared are a couple of salvias and some Agastache I am very fond of.

I'm being very careful about each stem that comes out, even though the bed is still mostly bare ground, several types of foliage weeds with insignificant flowers at the axils are prolific and threaten to overtake some small plants with their rapid growth.

I have been pretty pleased with the mild summer we are having, all told. Right now I am waiting for blooms from Conoclinium colestineum, the TX star hibiscus, 'cherry brandy' rudbeckia, and various non-natives that are budding. I am really enjoying the Globe Thistle (Echinops ritro) I started from seed last year. The pollinators really enjoy them!

What's blooming in your yard?

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Awesome!

I am still in Fl for a few more days so no news of what is blooming in my yard. My A. Tuberosa was getting ready for it's second flush before I left. I planted some common milkweed before leaving and a Princess Flower as well. Not sure how that one will do as the lady I got it from at the farmers market didnt know the cultivar much less the latin name for it so I am waiting for it to flower a bit to post up in the id section in hopes of nailing down that info....

It is hotter than Hades down here (some folks calls it hell, I calls it Hades ) lol.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, Mike,keep track of your time in Hades.maybe when the time comes they'll let you go for time served? ;)

You may be aware, but the overnight low last right and this morning is 68 degrees. It's very nice, not like any other summer I ever experienced here in NC. I hope you get to come home soon and experience it yourself.

Will be interested in hearing what's happening in your garden when you get back. I know you've been working hard at it. Thanks for checking in.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Mild weather is right! You have reminded me that I need to go pick pods off my swap milkweed. It's loaded. I think A. curassavica is blooming out there too. The butterflies are having a field day. Gobs of them. I haven't seen many dragonflies yet this year. It has been a goofy year for both plants and things that fly in the yard. No doubt the cooler weather is part of the reason.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

The black and yellow swallowtails have begun showing up in goodly numbers in the last week. I was starting to think something had happened to them. Also lots of painted ladies.Yesterday I found this giant moth on the screen porch(?)
This moth is about 2 in long and about 4 in wide. I suspect by it's coloring that it hangs out on tree branches/trunks. It is uncannily like oak tree bark, which is the major tree type in my yard.

Thumbnail by goldhillal
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good grief, she's huge and lovely. You've no idea how many images I looked ST to find this, but since Snoopy won't let me up from the couch, it was a pleasant diversion.

I think it's called a Rustic Sphinx, what do you think?

http://wildflowers.jdcc.edu/Rustic_Sphinx.JPG

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Manduca-rustica

Another link.

We've got rain imminent. Going to check the yard while Snoopy's eyes are closed.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Probably so. But mine did not have the brown and rust as much as grey and black. Some of the pics of this moth were grey and back, so I am proclaiming a hit! Just in from the tomato vines and killed the biggest hornworm I ever saw. Now I wonder if she was the Mama.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

O well. You're not surprised that I am enchanted by giant hornworms. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.