Leaf Scorch?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Got this shrub id as Ternstroemia gymnanthera (False Cleyera). It is my daughter's on the eastern shore. They have not power washed nor used colored mulch around it. It is a well established plant and the surrounding bushes although different plants are fine. Any thoughts on what happened?

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry but I doubt anyone will be able to shed any more light on your problem with your current pictures. This plant is not prone to disease. Most likely the problem is conditional. You should ask your daughter to cut out the dead stems (and yes, the stems with the dead foliage are definitely dead) and then examine the stems for any other clues. I'd also have her examine the base of the plant for signs of disruption.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I agree...it is possible a mole or vole or other critter has tunneled under the plant, breaking and exposing roots to air pockets. The scorched, dead branches are serving no purpose at this point, so should be removed.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I will let her know and thanks for all your help.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Please do keep us updated on what they find. best of luck...it is so worrisome to lose a plant with no idea as to why.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.